Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1.6 HDI No fuel from fuel pump
Hi guys i have 2007 berlingo 1.6hdi. The head gasket blew and the engine was pretty worn out so i swapped the engine for a complete running one.

I didnt swap the fuel pump as it was the exact same pump as the old one and is a known good one. I have primed up the fuel system with the bulb but i cannot get fuel to come out of the fuel pump when its cranking over

I have taken the pipe off that goes from the priming bulb to the pump and fuel is going into the pump but not coming out

I took off the electric connector on the pump and tested its voltage. It shows 3 volts with the ignition on is this correct?

also is the electric connector for the fuel shut off valve?

Its as if there is something in the pump stopping it from coming out which leads me to think the voltage to the fuel shut off may be wrong and is not opening to allow fuel to come out

I have been scratching my head for 2 days now so all help really appreciated
(05-11-2014, 08:31 AM)afireinside Wrote:  Hi guys i have 2007 berlingo 1.6hdi. The head gasket blew and the engine was pretty worn out so i swapped the engine for a complete running one.

I didnt swap the fuel pump as it was the exact same pump as the old one and is a known good one. I have primed up the fuel system with the bulb but i cannot get fuel to come out of the fuel pump when its cranking over

I have taken the pipe off that goes from the priming bulb to the pump and fuel is going into the pump but not coming out

I took off the electric connector on the pump and tested its voltage. It shows 3 volts with the ignition on is this correct?

also is the electric connector for the fuel shut off valve?

Its as if there is something in the pump stopping it from coming out which leads me to think the voltage to the fuel shut off may be wrong and is not opening to allow fuel to come out

I have been scratching my head for 2 days now so all help really appreciated

Hi, just done same same, read my recent thread, different scanners read the fault codes on mine ok so you shouldn't have too much trouble but without fault codes you're peeing into the wind. Saying you got 3v would help perhaps (or not?) if you said which colour wire produced it. I'm working on mine as we speak (9am uk time)so will give you a reading if you want. Might be easier if you skyped me
lrb
Hi landrover bob thank you for your quick response. The wires i tested are the two wires that plug into the fuel pump i just put my electric tester on each of the wires.

Quick question. when you squeeze the prime bulb should it fill the pump and fuel rail?

I have undone the pipe that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel rail and cannot get fuel to come out of the pump at all either when pumping the bulb or cranking. Its as if there is something stopping fuel

Fuel is definately going into the pump and the priming bulb does get harder with the built up pressure but i just cannot get it past the pump

Also my elm327 diagnostic lead doesnt seem to work with this van and i cannot get it to a garage for diagnostics with it not running Sad
(05-11-2014, 08:31 AM)afireinside Wrote:  I have been scratching my head for 2 days now so all help really appreciated

Did you read this thread: http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=10700

See post #10
Doesn't the immobiliser prevent the fuel pump from working?

Did the change the ecu when you changed the engine?

Tried applying 12 volts direct to the pump to get it to run?
Funny you should mention the immobiliser as the key light doesnt come on at all neither does the engine management light which makes me think that the ecu isnt powering up. Does anyone know which pin it is to test this?

Im not sure if the valve on the pump is 12v so i dont really want to risk blowing it

The last berlingo 1.6 hdi i had it made noises from the egr and relays clicking etc when you turn the key but there doesnt seem to be much going on in this one

I left the original ecu in the van as its coded to the key and used the original wiring loom on the new engine

Also i have notice a spare connector on the loom that doesnt seem to plug in anywhere. Its a blue 3 pin connector that comes out of the main loom with the EGR valve wires does anyone know what this is for?

And there is another spare connector near the brake master cylinder that doesnt seem to plug in anywhere.

I am hoping to pick up a nexia 3 and peugeot planet tonight so hopefully that will shed some light