Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1.6 HDi Cooling fan
I noticed today that my van seems to be running rather hot on the motorway. Normally the needle sits at 90 but it's but its been going well above that and only drops down if I ease off the gas or put the heater on. I've just pulled in at the services & noticed the cooling fan isn't on so I suspect thats the problem. Can someone tell me where the sensor is that operates the fan so I can bridge the connection & hopefully work out if the issue is with the fan or the sensor? I've checked the fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet and that is ok.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The natural airflow of driving at high speed should be keeping your engine cool.

I suspect you have another problem.
I'm wondering if I have a sticking thermostat. After a few hours of erratic movement the gauge settled at just over 90 and hasn't gone any higher. Just hope its ok for the 4 hour journey back.

You don't tell if the car has AC or not.
If it's a non-AC car, the switch for the fan should sit on the radiator itself.

Do a proper bleed off to get rid of any air trapped n the system first.
The cooling fan is triggered by the engine ECU, I am afraid there is no easy way to "bridge" it out. I suggest you get it checked out pretty sharpish.
The only time my cooling fans have come on is when my head gasket went. (1.6hdi) I don't think they come on unless the engine gets very hot.
Check the cooling system for contamination, a scummy foam in the expansion tank means the head gasket has gone.
Thanks for all the replies. It was fine coming back last night at 70mph the gauge sat just above 90 for 230 motorway miles then dipped to what I assume is the 80 mark when I came off the motorway. Which is about normal. I've checked the coolant this morning and theres no scum in it and no mayo under the oil cap.

Given the mileage I do if there is an issue I don't doubt it won't take long to rear it's head :-s

@Gadgetman my van is "poverty spec", no A/C.

@JohnM I'm really suprised the cooling fan only comes on when it gets mega hot, on any other vehicle I've had I've usually heard it running if in traffic on a hot day and thats well before the needle has reached the red mark.

The reason the fan only runs when the temperature is so high is the noise...
(Remember, Citroën has been skimping on a few details, such as acoustic insulation, to build them so cheap)

Actually, the fan draws 2A or more, so it actually makes a bit of a difference on the MPGs if it runs 'unnecessarily'.