Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 2.96 Average
1.6i 16v petrol re-map?
Anyone out there know a company in the Norfolk/Suffolk/Lincs area that can re-map the ECU on my 1.6i properly - I don't want one of these mobs that puts a standard 'one-size fits all' re-map in but a company that can actually tune the ECU. There seem to plenty of companies around who will work on the diesels but nothing for the petrol engines.

Under certain conditions the engine has a big flat spot that's apparently not caused by the electronic throttle or the lambda sensors malfunctioning and I'd like to get rid of it. The only engine mod right now is a K&N filter and this problem was there before it was fitted.

The engine also wasn't pulling smoothly under 3000rpm but that was cured earlier this year simply by replacing the NGK plugs with Bosch.

Otherwise the car runs very well, 36mpg in the current cold weather and over 40mpg on a run in warmer weather but with plenty of power through the gears all the way up to the rev limiter if I want it.
Forgive my naivete but what is an ECU? And what does re-mapping involve? I come from the automobile stone age. Thanks

Tom
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

(20-12-2010, 03:09 PM)3rensho Wrote:  Forgive my naivete but what is an ECU? And what does re-mapping involve? I come from the automobile stone age. Thanks

Tom

Hello Tom, you are forgiven !!!! I served my time as a diesel fitter back in 1973 onwards then for a good few years was out of the trade, only to come back a few years later in an administrative role and to total bewilderment so you are not alone.

An ECU is an Electronic Control Unit is basically an electronic "Black Box" which is connected to various sensors in,on or around the engine and depending on the signals, feedback etc it receives, controls fuel output, engine speed, torque, engine power, in fact just about everything.

It is possible to "Talk" to the ECU via computer link-up and to tune or detune the engine and to alter its parameters, power output etc, this is know as "Remapping".
In old technology like you and me know best, it is probably best described as setting the timing, distributor, carburetor and other things for optimum desired settings, except that modern day engines do not have conventional distributors nor carburettors but instead have electronic "gismos" that do the tricks.

Unless you have the neccesary computer and software, there is little that us laymen can do to "meddle, tweak or tinker with" so we are at the mercy of those who can!!!
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, in my day it involved setting the point gap, timing, gap the plugs, etc.

Tom

Hi, Guys.
Below, here's small presentation of electric equipment of M59 and may be B9 Berlingos.
[Image: elberl.png]

The BERLINGO possesses an electrical structure incorporating :
- BSI : built-in systems interface (dual-CAN, CAN)
- BSM : engine relay unit (or engine fusebox)
- COM 2000 Switch module at the steering wheel
- Multifunction screen

BSI Built-in systems interface
BSM Engine relay unit
CV00 Switch module at the steering wheel
0004 Instrument panel
1320 Engine ECU
6570 Airbag ECU
7215 multifunction screen
7800 Stability control ECU (ESP)
8080 air conditioning ECU
8410 Radio
8415 Compact disc changer
8500 Navigation ECU
8600 Anti-theft alarm system

May be this presentation will help to somebody
Thanks pk7478. The car has as many chips as my PC.

(21-12-2010, 09:28 AM)3rensho Wrote:  Thanks pk7478. The car has as many chips as my PC.

I think you will find the vehicle electronics have many more "chips" than your PC.

Is this really "Art for art sake", Is all this electronic wizardry really neccessary, Is it all just something else to go hellishly and expensively wrong.

And lastly, am I guilty as found of being a "Luddite"???
Quote:Is it all just something else to go hellishly and expensively wrong.

Well, the chips are really cheap to manufacture but they get you for the firmware (software) that resides on the chips. That can be VERY expensive. The company that programmed the chip that controls our heat pump for the house spent over $ 1 million on developing the software.

I feel a bit of a Luddite too at times.

LOL, I feel much better now. Big Grin

I apprenticed in the days when we were replacing king pin bushes in Ford Pops, doing rebores with the engine still in the car (you stripped it, a guy brought the boring bar round, did the rebore then you cleaned up the mess and put it all back together) and re-lining brake shoes. Back then I could get petrol for 2/6 a gallon and ran a Triumph motorcycle.

Why not be a Luddite? If the vehicle regulations and the cost of petrol let me I'd happily tear out the 1.6 and a stick small-block V8 (with RWD) in the Berlingo but I can't so please does anyone know someone who can sort out these new-fangled electronics.
(21-12-2010, 04:55 PM)Oldie Wrote:  LOL, I feel much better now. Big Grin

I apprenticed in the days when we were replacing king pin bushes in Ford Pops, doing rebores with the engine still in the car (you stripped it, a guy brought the boring bar round, did the rebore then you cleaned up the mess and put it all back together) and re-lining brake shoes. Back then I could get petrol for 2/6 a gallon and ran a Triumph motorcycle.

Why not be a Luddite? If the vehicle regulations and the cost of petrol let me I'd happily tear out the 1.6 and a stick small-block V8 (with RWD) in the Berlingo but I can't so please does anyone know someone who can sort out these new-fangled electronics.
Myself, more towards the commercial and industrial end of the engine market but replacing cylinder liners in-situ plus rebores in-situ and some of the stuff we refurbished was from a bygone era so butting and bedding whitemetal bearings, scraping, de-cokes etc.

If you do suss out an electronics whizz kid, let us know please.

Found this today from trawling the net, local to me in Stoke but don't know how good he is or what..... http://www.simon-dean.co.uk/ Once again, I have no knowledge of this person or any pecuniray interest.