Thread Rating:
  • 20 Vote(s) - 3.3 Average
1.9d coolant change
Plan on changing coolant before winter. Just wondered the correct procedure on this engine? I've never done one with a radiator with no filler cap. I assume it's just a matter of draining from the lower hose, reconnecting and filling the header tank with the engine running and bleed valve opened untill coolant leaks out? And keep topping up the header tank until it stops going down?

Will the old clip on the hose likely be usable again at 8 years old after I disturb it? I know they tend to go rotten. Or should I buy a new jubilee clip?

And if anyone should know the quantity of coolant required on the DW8?

Thanks chaps!
Full procedure taken from Haynes, you were pretty much right. Depending on your year, it should be around 9-10L.

Just take a second to post in the correct section next time :thumbsup:
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Andre for this post:
  • mrbritse, rm008
Thanks, and sorry if I got the wrong forum, only the van is a Mk2 (2003)? Though I guess the DW8 was more common in the Mk1?
Thanks, yes and the fact that you said it was 8 years old i assumed it was an older model.

As long as your question has been answered Smile
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

This bit about the cylinder block drain plug? Is this really necessary? Anyone actually done their 1.9 and can confirm? Many thanks.
Did it today. Very simple job, and I didn't bother with the drain plug which knowing Haynes either doesn't exist or isn't at all necessary Smile Used the (expensive at £18 for 5l at motor factors - Ouch!) red stuff, but nothing like as much as 9-10L of coolant either came out or went back in Smile

Didn't have a hose to flush out the rad, so refilled with hot water twice and got up to temp before emptying. Then flushed numerous times via the header tank to clear as best I could all the tiny particles of inevitable rubbish in the bottom of the rad (hope it isn't breaking up inside..).

A length of syphon tube in the header tank, and my hand as a seal was invaluable to let me physically blow out of the system remnants of old coolant through the disconnected bottom hose, which I am happy to say came off easily, and the old clip was perfectly good to re-use since it isn't actually necessary to provide the seal.

Anyone know where the bleed screws are on a mk2 1.9D?

Found one on the bulk head, but is that for the heater matrix or the one just listed as being on the bulkhead?

Fking Haynes and their crap pictures, no reference points just a disembodied bleed screw, useless .
(17-12-2011, 02:18 PM)chronyx Wrote:  Anyone know where the bleed screws are on a mk2 1.9D?

Fking Haynes and their crap pictures,

Do not use Haynes. Das ist Scheisse!
Use this:
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=449

and this:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1268

These pages will be more helpful for you than useless Haynes Smile
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to pk7478 for this post:
  • chainey44, mrbritse
Thank you once for for agreeing with me about Haynes, and again for the links!

Glad it's not just me!

I had to get it done, so I did the one obvious bleed screw, and the size 10 allen key at the back of the block. What tremendous fun and games that was to get in and out...

Have a great Christmas bud!
The only one I ever found is on the bulkhead on the feed to the heater matrix..

(17-12-2011, 02:18 PM)chronyx Wrote:  Anyone know where the bleed screws are on a mk2 1.9D?

Found one on the bulk head, but is that for the heater matrix or the one just listed as being on the bulkhead?

Fking Haynes and their crap pictures, no reference points just a disembodied bleed screw, useless .

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Richard_in_Bath for this post:
  • chronyx