Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2.0 HDI 90bhp, buy one or not?
Okay, so I tried searching for an answer here, but I couldn't find one.

However, I am currently looking to get a Multispace, and there are a few stragglers left on the for sale-sites. They are all 2.0 HDI. All other Berlingos are sold within a day or two. This suggests to me that the 2.0 is not a good engine? Or is it just that it was replaced with the 1.6, and therefore presumed useless?

Currently I am looking at two 2004 models, about the same price, rougly the same milage (110-120 kkm). The cars are reasonably priced, and have same equipment and setup as all others. They just aren't sold.
Could anyone give me some sort of clue here?

Also, love the forum! Lots of cool cars here!
The 2.0 HDi is respected as being a good engine. It is not as economical as the 1.6 HDi, but in other respects, there is not much to choose between them.

To the best of my knowledge, in terms of maintenance and reliability, they are much of a muchness.

In terms of driving characteristics, they are not very different - though some people do prefer the older 2.0 engine to the newer 1.6 one.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Northman for this post:
  • thorflot
(27-08-2011, 03:25 PM)thorflot Wrote:  Okay, so I tried searching for an answer here, but I couldn't find one.

However, I am currently looking to get a Multispace, and there are a few stragglers left on the for sale-sites. They are all 2.0 HDI. All other Berlingos are sold within a day or two. This suggests to me that the 2.0 is not a good engine? Or is it just that it was replaced with the 1.6, and therefore presumed useless?

Currently I am looking at two 2004 models, about the same price, rougly the same milage (110-120 kkm). The cars are reasonably priced, and have same equipment and setup as all others. They just aren't sold.
Could anyone give me some sort of clue here?

Also, love the forum! Lots of cool cars here!

Mines a 2003 2.0Hdi 71k miles when purchased in May, its the ninth & best car I have owned !
For over 20 years I was a service engineer I drove numerous works vans Transits,VW Transporters etc the best one was a 1.9 Peugeot Partner.

Just do the norm & check service history, any receipts for work done etc.

2003 Citroën Berlingo 2.0HDi Multispace Desire
Hi thorflot
welcome to the site. I have just changed to the 2.0hdi from the 1.6hdi. This for the following reasons.
1. The 1.6 hdi although a very good engine is becoming more and more prone to turbo problems. Do a search on here and you will see what I mean.
2. The timing belt can cause problems at low mileage's. Much lower than Citroen would have you believe.
The 2.0hdi engine is also used in the Peugot Partner and in the words of my local Peugot Dealer/Service Dept "We don't get many problems with this engine" This after I enquired about timing belt renewal.
Only negative I see and it is just knitpicking is the fact that the clutch pedal is on the heavy side compared to the 1.6hdi one.

Tutchi
Cool
The 2.0 Hdi engine is excellent. We use a fleet of Berlingo's as works van and I have a 206 Dturbo with the same engine.
Good fuel economy, its a quiet engine with plenty of power.
2003 Berlingo converted to run a modified xud9te.
Running 24psi of Boost.
2.5" solid pipework and Fmic.
Converted to electric power steering.
Garrett T2
I think the 2.0 is a great engine, quiet compared to a xud9te which i recently owned in a 306, my bro has a 307 with the same engine which has done around 150k with no problems, but make sure on buying that the oil n filters has been changed at regular intervals. and from what ive heard about the turbo on the 1.6 i wouldnt touch one!!
Well, there you go!

Thank you all, this seems like great news to me. This means I might just get a good deal on one of these cars. Seeing as no one else seems to want to buy one, I mean...

Again, thank you all for you swift replies!
Mine runs ok and is light years away from the 1.9D straight aspirated in my old 306. A bit strange at first getting used to the electronic side of things but that is the way that all engines are nowadays to meet European Legislations on emissions. I.M.H.O. the 2.0HDI has the same power output as the 1.6HDI but does not have to work as hard or stress the engine to acheive this.

You have the facts as we know them, you pays your money, you makes the choice.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
make sure it has had a clutch change at that mileage bud,...
Oookay? A clutch change before 120 000 km? Seriously? Why, is it that crappy?