Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 1.6hdi 'engine immobiliser fault'
Not been on the forum for a while but the car gave us a problem today.
Did a short run 4-5 miles, parked up, locked the car and left it for 30 mins or so.
Returned, unlocked, tried to start it and it kept cranking but failed to start. The display said engine immobiliser fault. Switched off/on tried again - same problem.
Got out, locked, unlocked, tried again - no problem. So what brought that on?
On Friday local garage replaced both rear wheel cylinders but can't see a connection to this fault. Any clues appreciated
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
(20-09-2015, 07:42 PM)pidgeonpost Wrote:  Not been on the forum for a while but the car gave us a problem today.
Did a short run 4-5 miles, parked up, locked the car and left it for 30 mins or so.
Returned,  unlocked, tried to start it and it kept cranking but failed to start. The display said engine immobiliser fault.  Switched off/on tried again - same problem.
Got out, locked, unlocked,  tried again - no problem. So what brought that on?
On Friday local garage replaced both rear wheel cylinders but can't see a connection to this fault. Any clues appreciated

Try with spare key and post result.

Best regards,
brajomobil
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brajomobil for this post:
  • pidgeonpost
Tried the spare key this morning - no problems at all, it locks, unlocks, and starts the car. The key we normally use is the remote operating one. I guess this may be a 'wait-and-see' job until the fault makes itself a bit more obvious. Could it be the battery in the remote on the way out perhaps?
It usually comes up on the central display when the remote battery is low. Were you parked near anything that could be transmitting a strong signal.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • pidgeonpost
(21-09-2015, 10:59 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  It usually comes up on the central display when the remote battery is low. Were you parked near anything that could be transmitting a strong signal.
Thanks for that. We weren't parked anywhere that I can think would be pushing out a signal - it was quite remote, no mastst or anything. But the battery in the remote could be a good place to start. We've had the car for nearly 5 years and I don't recall changing the battery or getting it changed. Is it a DIY or dealer job do you know please? Possibly in a 'stickie' somewhere I guess.  Smile
If its like mine with two buttons a long oblong button to lock and a round button behind it to unlock they are easy to replace the battery. Take it off the keyring and using a 5p piece put it in the slot in the back edge of the fob. Give it a gentle twist and the remote will separate in two halves. You need a small thin blade or screwdriver to slide out the battery then quickly slide in the new one and clip the two halves back together, then test on the car.
The battery you need is a CR2016 3v battery.
I cant remember if it applies to this key but don't have the battery out for to long or you may have to re sync it.
Its covered in the handbook I think, I will have a look tomorrow as its chucking it down at the minute.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
My wife has taken the car out this evening (taking both keys) so I can't check what our key looks like or check our handbook. I'll have a look at both tomorrow and see what the score is.
Thanks again for your help Smile
We have the same remote and our handbook covers battery replacement - and what to do to program the remote. It also says we should get an audible warning and 'Remote control battery spent' message but I'll change it asap and hope that will be the end of it.
Thanks for the tips!
Replaced the battery today - no subsequent problems so hope that's fixed it. Smile