Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
70mph Speed Restriction
Hi All

So at the moment, I'm a bit :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

I have a 59 plate 1.6HDi, great little van. It's ex BT and has a speed restrictor limiting me to 70mph.

I've spent hours on the phone to Citroen, taken it to a dealer and even had it remapped. Still restricted to 70mph and no-one seems to know how to remove it.

There is a limit set in the ECU to 60 or 62mph, which has been de-activated and this has been checked now about 5 times. So it has to be something else.

Clive Atthowe in Norwich did the remap and they spent about 4 hours going over and over the van and the software looking for a limiter and nothing.

PLEASE HELP before I go insane!
http://vantuner.co.uk/limiter-removal/

Might be worth trying these?
2015 Cactus Feel BlueHDi
2014 Dispatch Van LWB
Ex 2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6HDi 115 owner
(20-06-2014, 03:02 PM)knackerdan Wrote:  http://vantuner.co.uk/limiter-removal/

Might be worth trying these?

Thanks, already spoken with them. They have no idea either!

Said they could probably solve it, but not had one before and would need it for about a week to play with etc. Unfortunately they are several hours away from me and the van is being used everyday.
That's a hell of a limiter then!

I would be speaking to bt , finding out who they contracted to install the limiter and getting in touch with them.

Are you able to put the gas pedal to the floor?

How does the accererator work on a mk3? Could it be a physical block like days of old?
Beat me to it:
http://www.btfleet.com/home.aspx

Looks like they have a fleet subsidary who do servicing & repairs. They may have the info you need.
2015 Cactus Feel BlueHDi
2014 Dispatch Van LWB
Ex 2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6HDi 115 owner
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to knackerdan for this post:
  • ron
(20-06-2014, 04:58 PM)homeruk Wrote:  That's a hell of a limiter then!

I would be speaking to bt , finding out who they contracted to install the limiter and getting in touch with them.

Are you able to put the gas pedal to the floor?

How does the accererator work on a mk3? Could it be a physical block like days of old?

I have spent hours on the phone to Citroen who insist that if they had installed a limiter it would be in the ECU.

I have spoken to the fleet manager at BT who said they actually leased the vans through Lex AutoLease, I tried speaking to them but all they said was that they don't have any mechanical services so they would have instructed Citroen to do it. I then traced this back to the selling dealer who had no record of fitting any limiters, just carried out a PDI.

Clive Atthowe in Norwich spent 4 hours checking over the vehicle and said there was no physical device they could find controlling the speed.

(20-06-2014, 05:01 PM)knackerdan Wrote:  Beat me to it:
http://www.btfleet.com/home.aspx

Looks like they have a fleet subsidary who do servicing & repairs. They may have the info you need.

I spoke to them and they just instructed the leasing company to make sure they were limited to 70mph.
Ok so its back to Citroen , you need to find out the name or names of the people who installed the limiters.

Somebody at Citroen knows....

Lex autolease must know also who at Citroen they spoke to to install the limiters.

Question to the Lexia experts - how do you go about installing a limiter on the ecu?
(24-06-2014, 12:23 PM)homeruk Wrote:  Ok so its back to Citroen , you need to find out the name or names of the people who installed the limiters.

Somebody at Citroen knows....

Lex autolease must know also who at Citroen they spoke to to install the limiters.

Question to the Lexia experts - how do you go about installing a limiter on the ecu?

No-One at Citroen knows, spent about 4 hours in total on the phone to them, they can't even tell me who sold it and to who. Basically they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

The limiter is NOT on the ECU, the one found on there was set at around 60mph and this has never been a problem.

The limit is set at 70mph but the speedo reads around 76mph so it must be engine controlled somehow via the revs in top gear or something?

I think that it must be an aftermarket job, installed by a third party instructed by Lex Autolease. I have just managed to get a number for their aftermarket department who are apparently in charge of dealing with ex-fleet sales etc. Tech at Lex say they are the people to talk to, the number they have given me is for a guy who is on leave until 30th June, so I either have to wait for him to reply or try the department again.

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:
We had a car pass through when I was doing a bit of work for a trader a few years ago that was ex lex autolease. We spent ages trying to find the limiter. They'd fitted a screw like thing on the throttle cable. This limited the revs through each gear though, with the max revs in 5th equating to around 70mph.
I can't remember for definite what car that was on but a Xsara diesel springs to mind.
I think I might now have the answer, will have to try when I get home.

Managed to speak to someone at Lex with integrity who said they would find out and come back to me and promptly did, 15min later.

He told me that the records stated that the original Citroen Fleet Services arranged fitting the limiters and even gave me a contact number and name. I have spoken to the contact at Citroen who told me that they could not restrict the speed by the ECU back in 2009 (a lie) and had to out source the limiters to an independent company in Manchester.

I have now spoken to them and they have told me that I should be able to disable the limiter myself and that it was located behind the glove box (of course, silly me!)

What gets me with this whole fiasco is that I originally took it to Citroen to get the restrictor removed and they had no record of it... Why not? are Citroen stuck in 1893 or something? Not heard of computers?

JEEEZ :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: