Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
A cup holder you can use at last
After struggling to get on with the floor mounted cup holder and having the cup come out and roll around the floor I thought it was time to source another solution.
I found a folding cup holder on ebay and wanted to try and fit it to the open circular binnacle on the passenger side.
[Image: 14cb7k3.jpg]
[Image: a3cirq.jpg]
[Image: k4uzaa.jpg]

It worked out well in the end and took about an hour.
1, I popped out the binnacle using the edge of a steel rule and just worked it round the edge. The is a catch at the 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. The 12 o'clock one is the tricky one.
2, I then planed down the end of a fence post to make it cone shaped.
3, I put this into the removed binnacle as far as it would go until it 'grabbed'
4, I drew a line around where the wood protruded and cut the wood flush.
5, I secured it with two small wood screws fitted through the side of the binnacle
6, with the wood in place i now had a flat surface to screw the cup holder to.
7, When this was done I popped the binnacle back into place
The best thing is that it is totally reversible if you ever change your mind, the only damage will be the two small screw holes internally on the binnacle.
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to supersubby for this post:
  • CourierJim, dellwood333, eame64, finny, RolyG, silverfox, steveymccombe, taxi
good idea Confusedalut:
2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp XTR
Like the correct use of the word 'binnacle', if not the choice of coffee supplier. Grammar IS important. Vicar.Confusedtudy:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to vicars for this post:
  • Mankie
(06-10-2013, 05:19 PM)supersubby Wrote:  After struggling to get on with the floor mounted cup holder and having the cup come out and roll around the floor I thought it was time to source another solution.
I found a folding cup holder on ebay and wanted to try and fit it to the open circular binnacle on the passenger side.
[Image: 14cb7k3.jpg]
[Image: a3cirq.jpg]
[Image: k4uzaa.jpg]

It worked out well in the end and took about an hour.
1, I popped out the binnacle using the edge of a steel rule and just worked it round the edge. The is a catch at the 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. The 12 o'clock one is the tricky one.
2, I then planed down the end of a fence post to make it cone shaped.
3, I put this into the removed binnacle as far as it would go until it 'grabbed'
4, I drew a line around where the wood protruded and cut the wood flush.
5, I secured it with two small wood screws fitted through the side of the binnacle
6, with the wood in place i now had a flat surface to screw the cup holder to.
7, When this was done I popped the binnacle back into place
The best thing is that it is totally reversible if you ever change your mind, the only damage will be the two small screw holes internally on the binnacle.

Thank you for this information. Any chance of a photo of the binnacle you removed to see what the 3 retaining things look like?

John
Hi Supersubby, many thanks for the marvellous cupholder idea, which I have copied almost exactly. I found the binnacle very easy to remove using a thin and flexible metal kitchen palette knife. There are in actual fact, 4 plastic catches on the rear of the binnacle at the 11:00, 13:00, 17:00 and 19:00 "clockface" positions, and a small plastic stub at the 12 o'clock positon which locates into a slot in the face of the dashboard, to stop the binnacle rotating in it's hole.
I also fitted one of these. Very easy to do and it works a treat.
The correct tool to use is a "Splunger". Well, it's the correct tool for taking apart those clip together electronic enclosures.
Has anyone tried one of these in a mk3 Berlingo ?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...82&alt=web

Mark
I'm confused from the description. Is it single DIN or double? I'm upgrading the head unit in the Dispatch & it has the same setup as the Berlingo with storage & Aux/usb underneath. That will be redundant. I'd be interested in a single din double cup holder.
2015 Cactus Feel BlueHDi
2014 Dispatch Van LWB
Ex 2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6HDi 115 owner
Found dimensions! Single DIN. Might have a punt on one of those!
2015 Cactus Feel BlueHDi
2014 Dispatch Van LWB
Ex 2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6HDi 115 owner