Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A sad end
It's a good while since I last posted here, but I became a proud Berlingo owner in March 2012, with my Deisel Automatic XTR.

I was extremely happy with it, until this weekend, when someone ran into the back of it at high speed, while it was parked.

[Image: 005.JPG]

No-one was hurt - the guys in the other car were very lucky, while I was safely tucked up in bed.

Anyway, the car's a write-off. :brickwall: The good news is that the insurance settlement has turned out fairly decent, and that the car was still covered by GAP insurance, which should boost it a bit more.

I'm going to look at some cars to replace it next week, including another Berlingo.
Ouch !
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
Just put some air in the tyre and it will be fine Smile
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
looks a bit like a nemo now.
2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp XTR
(24-01-2014, 08:11 PM)philip Wrote:  Just put some air in the tyre and it will be fine Smile
I wish. Smile

My brother (who I was visiting) took one look at it and said "that's a write off". The guy who came to pick it up (impressive service - 1 hour after reporting a 2am crash) said "probably, but I have seen worse repaired".

When they said that they were transporting the car 90 miles to a workshop near my home, I thought that this meant that it might be repairable. But the insurers confirmed today it was a write-off - chassis damage as well as what was visible.

When I bought this car, the one thing it didn't have, that I was used to with my old Scenic, was a sun-roof.

One of the Berlingos I've got my eye on has a modutop. What's folks' experience with these?
Feel for you Chris at least your insurers are moving fast
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

By a total coincedence, all three vehicles (the crash, in turn, shunted my parked car into a neighbour's parked car) were insured with the same company. Which, I guess, made decision making rather simple, especially as it was a cut-and-dried no-fault for myself and the neighbour.
My mk2 has a modutop & I like the glass panels which lighten the cab & the lockers are good for thing you need on the trip but don't want them rolling around.The CD holder is good unless you have one of those memory stick things,them I suppose you could keep folded £20 notes in it.:whistle:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Although yours does look bad its worth remembering insurers will write off anything these days if it saves 'em a few quid. If the damage is the third parties fault and the vehicle is repairable then as I understand it you are well within your rights to demand a repair rather than accept the vehicle being written off even if the repair cost would be higher (insurers approved repairers usually come up with inflated repair costs). I also understand you have the right to have the vehicle repaired at a garage of your own choice (which would most likely be cheaper than the insurers approved repairer). The down side is that you may have to pay for the repairs yourself and get the insurer to reimburse you. I don't claim this to be fact this is just my understanding. Most people don't check out what their legally entitled to when their vehicle is involved in an accident, they just trust their insurer to sort things and insurers will do anything to keep costs low even if it's not your fault.

Before you accept the payout make sure they offer a payment that will cover the cost of replacing with an equivalent vehicle, get proof of the prices you've seen and show them to your insurer if the payout they offer won't cover replacement.
Looks like it held up pretty well to be honest if the car hit it at speed

This was always one of my worries about carrying my dog in the back; would she get crushed in a rear end shunt

I'm glad to see that the Berlingo hasn't deformed a huge amount

Did the rear side windows shatter or pop out?