Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
non-standard alloys invalidate warranty?
I have on order a new vehicle and have been advised that if I add non-standard 17 inch alloys this will invalidate my warranty. Is this statement correct please? Many thanks in advance. I am a newcomer to this forum and would welcome any advice.
I would think so,any upgrade will make the warrant void,,just keep your old wheels and if it needs warranty work put old wheels on before you take it in,and don't tell them anything,,
It all depends on the nature of the warranty work, if the wheels cause a problem say to tracking or suspension then they could turn you down but if it was say paintwork or engine trouble then this is not caused by the aftermarket wheels and the warranty would still stand.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
I wouldn't risk it,any excuse for them to void warranty,
(05-10-2016, 06:45 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  I wouldn't risk it,any excuse for them to void warranty,

Thank you for the responses. It might be as well to avoid any problems I can add the non-standards after the warranty period perhaps.

Matt
The fitting of aftermarket accessories catches a lot of people out and most notably with their insurers when the time comes for a claim, insurance works on the basis of good faith where you are expected to advise them of changes to a vehicle otherwise you run the risk of a declined claim.

If you were set on replacement wheels then perhaps ask the supplying dealer for permission and of course get it in writing that the warranty isn't affected, better safe than sorry.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
many thanks for your sensible advice. I will do what you suggest and see where that takes us.

Matt f
(07-10-2016, 10:25 AM)doofer Wrote:  I found my insurers pretty reasonable when I asked them about fitting alloys.  I was expecting the premium to double, as they'd decide I was some boy-racer idiot.  I think it was about a tenner a year extra, and that was just because the value of the vehicle would have increased by a few £100s, not because it was now non-standard or anything like that.

I didn't bother in the end though, mainly because I'm a tightwad and didn't want to risk making it use more fuel, as large alloys are likely to.

What many don't realise is that, in addition to declaring DIY mods, you must also declare factory and dealer options.  I added climate control (automatic pack) for £465 extra, so this is listed as a modification on my insurance.  Otherwise, if it got written off then they'd only pay for a replacement with basic air con.  This cost me nothing extra.

I've also declared that I have a crash cam (didn't reduce or increase the premium), and also that I have replaced the brake pedal with the smaller one that's normally fitted to the manual version (they only asked about the value, and charged nothing extra for it).

So I'd say don't be scared of asking the insurers.  They really don't scream and double your premiums for mods, well not mine anyway.  I'm with Aviva by the way.

As for the warranty - that sounds a bit far-fetched.  I'm no legal expert, but I'd say that if they wanted to wriggle out of paying a future warranty claim due to the wheels then they'd need to prove that the wheels caused the problem.

I'd say do your homework then go ahead.  It might also be worth asking Citroen UK about it, as it's their warranty, not the dealer's.
 many thanks for your sensible and reasoned comments. I will contact Citroen and see what they have to say. I'm not overly concerned about the insurers but will advise them of extras that have been added to the basic model factory fitted but extras nonetheless.
Matt f