Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Annoying rumble
I have an aggravating rumble, passenger's side front suspension area (it is a left hand drive vehicle) and would appreciate any suggestions? I have replaced the roll bar drop arms, the vehicle has recently passed the MOT. I have checked over and tightened/fixed all plastic shroudings but still the noise persists. It only occurs when driving slowly on bumpy surfaces, no noise whatsoever when on a smooth road. The tyres are new, brakes are good with new discs and pads. The rumble sounds very physical and is driving me mad.
Broken spring? I know it should have been found on MOT, but you never know. Friend's berlingo had broken spring but he didn't know about it till found on MOT.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Modmytop for this post:
  • Burly Will
Rumble type noises are usually bearings. Knokiing ones usually joints.
Hth.
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Landmark for this post:
  • Burly Will
Check the new tyre's are not touching the strut when the tyre is going over a bump and your getting deflection of the tyre
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • Burly Will
(07-04-2014, 09:07 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Check the new tyre's are not touching the strut when the tyre is going over a bump and your getting deflection of the tyre

Thanks for your prompt response. It is not that because the noise has been present since before we had the new tyres (and before we had the MOT done too). The noise is getting very gradually worse although nothing was found at the MOT.
Sad 
Dry wheel bearing
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to patsom for this post:
  • Burly Will
Hi once more, I had already replaced the anti-roll bar drop links as I thought this was the problem but it was not. I have now just tried removing the new links completely from both sides, tied the anti-roll bar up with string and quickly road tested it overt the bumpiest ground I could find and "voila" the noise has gone completely! I presume that the mounting bushes on the subframe need replacing so I must get the thinking cap back on for that job but at least I now know what the problem is/was!!
Many thanks to those that made suggestions, always nice to know that in these trying times there are still people out there who are willing to help.
Burly Will
Wheel bearings can be noisy and yet have no play so still pass the mot, take note that when bearings fail they can fail quickly and will leave you stranded possibly.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • Burly Will
(08-04-2014, 08:27 AM)geoff Wrote:  Wheel bearings can be noisy and yet have no play so still pass the mot, take note that when bearings fail they can fail quickly and will leave you stranded possibly.

I will second that. Both my van did and my Forte have growly front left bearings. Been like that for 60,000 and still no problem at the MOT.