Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
IGNITION BARREL
HI ALL,KEY WILL NOT TURN IN IGNITION ON MY 1997 1.8 D (WITH KEYPAD)..STEERING LOCK IS ON ASWELL..TRYED LUBRICATION AND TAPING WITH TACK HAMMER BUT NO JOY...UNABLE TO TAKE BARREL OUT AS KEY NEEDS TO BE IN A CERTAIN POSITION SO NIPPLE CAN BE PRESSED IN TO TAKE BARREL OUT..ALREADY TAKEN OFF SCREW..BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO DO..IS IT THE BARREL OR IS IT STEERING LOCK NOT RELEASING..AND HOW DO I GET BARREL OFF..ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE GREAT...THANKS
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dash for this post:
  • addo
Just a thought have you got the wheels turned on hard lock, if so try taking the strain of the steering by turning the wheel while rying to turn the key.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
thanks for reply but tryed that one without success...
I'd be pricing up two options:

Option 1: New column from a breaker, with barrel and 2 keys.
Option 2: Mobile locksmith, then buy new barrel and keyset
(17-11-2013, 11:49 AM)addo Wrote:  I'd be pricing up two options:

Option 1: New column from a breaker, with barrel and 2 keys.
Option 2: Mobile locksmith, then buy new barrel and keyset

if i can be sure its the barrel and not the steering lock mechanism i will destroy barrel and get it off myself...do u no if i get barrel off will it release steering lock or can i do it manually once barrel is out..van is not worth spending alot of money or time on so i would rather not do option 1 if i could and would be willing to buy a new/used barrel.thanks
Have you looked at pictures of a barrel/lock assembly?

The front section is clipped and screwed to the lock housing. If you lower the column down you can probably Dremel or drill out the spring barb which retains the whole deal.

There's a technique called lock bumping which may be of interest, too.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post:
  • dash
(17-11-2013, 12:58 PM)addo Wrote:  Have you looked at pictures of a barrel/lock assembly?

The front section is clipped and screwed to the lock housing. If you lower the column down you can probably Dremel or drill out the spring barb which retains the whole deal.

NO I HAVE NOT SEEN PICTURES OF BARREL/LOCK ASSEMBLEY.IF I MANAGE TO GET BARREL OUT USING A DREMEL WILL THAT RELEASE STEERING LOCK AS NOT SURE HOW THE TWO ARE LINKED...BUMPING OPTION I WOULD LEAVE AS LAST RESULT.CHEERS
(17-11-2013, 01:15 PM)dash Wrote:  
(17-11-2013, 12:58 PM)addo Wrote:  Have you looked at pictures of a barrel/lock assembly?

NO I HAVE NOT SEEN PICTURES OF BARREL/LOCK ASSEMBLEY.IF I MANAGE TO GET BARREL OUT USING A DREMEL WILL THAT RELEASE STEERING LOCK AS NOT SURE HOW THE TWO ARE LINKED...BUMPING OPTION I WOULD LEAVE AS LAST RESULT.CHEERS

RESULT....TOOK OFF AIR BAG..STEERING WHEEL...INDICATOR AND WIPER ARMS AND MANAGED TO PUNCH DOWN SPRING BARB WHICH IN TURN RELEASED IGNITION BARREL.ALOT EASIER THIS WAY AS ALL THE ABOVE IN THE WAY TO GET A DIRECT HIT ON PUNCH..STEERING LOCK IS CONNECTED TO END OF BARREL SO STEERING FREE NOW TO PUSH VAN ONTO MY DRIVE..JUST ORDER CORRECT PART NOW AND FINGERS CROSSED ALL WORKS WHEN PUT BACK TOGETHER..CHEERS FOR ALL ADVICE GIVEN BY ALL ON SUBJECT...:lol: