Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 2.39 Average
BSI Unit?.......
Hello everyone.......... Just wondered if anyone can help me!.......

I'll try to cut this story short and get to the point because it's actually gone from a story to a full blown saga. Sad

Right, here goes........ Last week I painted the ply-lining inside my 1.9 D Berlingo Van.... Being a clever d**k, I thought I'd leave my windows down to help the paint dry quicker, (Think you can see where this is going!). Of course I forgot all about leaving my windows down, and subsequently they were left open all night. Sad

The night they were left open just happened to be a very foggy and damp night...... I went to my van and everything was wet inside the cab, (Dashboard, seats, carpets etc). After a bit of panicking I tried the key in the ignition to see if it would start up, and to my surprise it did, so I assumed that no damage had been done! However later that night the wife got in it to go to the local shop and when she tried the key in the ignition the van wouldn't start and it was showing all warning lights on the dash (fuel light, STOP light, ABS light, airbag light etc.)

I had the AA out to see if they could do anything with it and he identified the problem as being a water damaged BSI unit. So I went to my local scrappy and pulled one out of a Berlingo the same as mine. I replaced mine with that one and when I tried the key all the warning lights were out, plus all the electrics worked fine such as lights etc. but it wouldn't start!

Upon doing more research I've discovered that the second hand BSI unit from the scrappy is no good to as each Berlingo has it's own code, BLAH BLAH, BLAH. So I opened up the original one, dried it out and cleaned up the circuit board (I figured I had nothing to lose). I also found online a procedure for resetting BSIs so did that and to my surprise the van started Smile

Problem solved?????? No!!!!!........... Although the van now starts I've still got all the warning lights on the dash and my speedo, fuel gauge and rev counter don't work.........

In your expert opinions does it sound like I'm gonna need a new BSI unit..... Is it something stupid like a blown fuse(s)...... Or is it a case of sending the old one to Reman's to see if they can repair it......

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated... Hope I didn't go on too much!!!!! Take care, thank you!
Hi, This sounds a bit like the fault I had see -

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1453
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1619

The comms line to your speedo panel is on the same leg as your radio and multifunction display.
Are These working ok and is the display reading correctly?

If possible get your Bsi read to see what's happening. If you don't have a reader you could try BlueBlingo he might be able to help - He sorted me out with a read which led to a cure. He's a bit nearer to you than me.

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1601

Make sure you have done a correct shut down & reboot of the Bsi - it does do what it says on the tin !!

If the display & radio are working ok, I would be looking at (but don't quote me) the speedo BUT get a read before making any purchases.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • LloydyBoy
Hi Rustcrat. Thanks for taking the time to advise me. The radio is working fine however the dash display isn't. Instead of flashing up my mileage it's just a flashing dotted line. I'll ask BlueBlingo if he's got any ideas then mate. By the way you haven't got an email or contact details for him have you, I've tried messaging him on here but it say I need 10 posts before I can PM. Sad
(28-11-2011, 07:11 PM)LloydyBoy Wrote:  Hi Rustcrat. Thanks for taking the time to advise me. The radio is working fine however the dash display isn't. Instead of flashing up my mileage it's just a flashing dotted line. I'll ask BlueBlingo if he's got any ideas then mate. By the way you haven't got an email or contact details for him have you, I've tried messaging him on here but it say I need 10 posts before I can PM. Sad

Hi Lloydyboy
I will P.M you my email address.
Is your vehicle driveable ?
If it is you are welcome to pop up to Doncaster I live just off A 1 North of Donny Sunday`s are best for me, if you do just make a donation to forum.
If not I`ll have to travel to you ! reasonable fuel costs + small donation to forum.
2003 Citroën Berlingo 2.0HDi Multispace Desire
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BlueBlingo for this post:
  • LloydyBoy
Just a quick one Lloydy - What is your clock digital display reading? is that working ok + does it show all the radio stuff as it's this thats on the same comms line as the speedo.

Rustscrat. Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • LloydyBoy
(28-11-2011, 07:11 PM)LloydyBoy Wrote:  Hi Rustcrat. Thanks for taking the time to advise me. The radio is working fine however the dash display isn't. Instead of flashing up my mileage it's just a flashing dotted line. I'll ask BlueBlingo if he's got any ideas then mate. By the way you haven't got an email or contact details for him have you, I've tried messaging him on here but it say I need 10 posts before I can PM. Sad

Off and on topic at the same time, you can now PM.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Andre for this post:
  • LloydyBoy
Thanks Andre. And thanks to Rustscrat and BlueBlingo..... Haven't checked the clock display mate tbh. I'll have a look and see if that is working. To be honest though it seems like all the electrics such as lights, electric windows, indicators are fine, it's just that since the BSI got damaged none of my dash displays seem to be working, speedo etc. The van didn't start at all after the water damage to the BSI but since I tried the reset procedure online (disconnect battery, wait 30 seconds, turn sidelights on etc.) it starts first time and is perfectly driveable. Bloody electrics, if it was mechanical I would have had it sorted by now............ Thanks again by the way fellas, all of your advice and comments are both greatly appreciated and well needed. Wink

It is with great pleasure that after 9 long months, this bloody problem is now solved......

Many thanks to users 'BlueBlingo' and 'Rustscrat', (The BSI Boys)!
Hello sorry to be dim but is a BSI the same as as ECU - I have a long sorry saga to tell:
I have a Berlingo Multispace - is was a 51 UK registration but I have exported it to France.
A couple of months ago it wouldn't start and was taken to a French garage by the breakdown recovery. After @ 3 weeks we were told it had an electrical fault and needed a new 'computer' costing 800 euros. We towed the car home after paying 250 euros as we didn't think the car was worth that much. Our normal mechanic Mike got the car going and said it was a poor connection. Then he left us and it wouldn't start again. After 2 - 3 days cleaning this and that it started then wouldn't start. We could end up paying out hundreds to Mike trying to find out if it is a bad connection. The problem is around the diesel glow plug - when you turn the ignition on the plug light doesn't go off and it wont start. If the engine is hot and the problem happens, the engine as Mike says sounds like a bag of spanners and is very harsh. Is there anyway we can get the ECU computer tested to see if that is the problem and if so can it be fixed? As you can probably guess I am not technical.
No, the BS isn't the same as the ECU.

ECU = Engine Control Unit. This is located in the engine compartment.(On mine it's behind the battery) Its function is to handle the engine, making certain it get the fuel it needs when it needs it and relaying pertinent data to you via the dash(rev counter, speedo, warning lights, that stuff)

BSI = Berlingo Systems Interface(I think). This is located by the fusebox inside the car. In fact, the fusebox is part of the BSI. On early models, this was just a block of connectors behind the fuses, but then they integrated things like the Central Locking, Multimedia and a lot of other stuff into that one unit.

Bad connections are a big pain in the seating area...
It's non necessarily the plug itself that's damaged, but the wires going into it. Often they have broken and it's just the insulation holding the ends of the copper threads together. Vibrations happens, the threads shifts a bit... Then back again... Sometimes, pulling the plug and plugging it back in will align the threads, too.

And with the amount of wires around a modern engine...