Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
BSI failure
Hello,

ive been having all sorts of problems with my 2001 'lingo 1.9d.

i had what looked like a blown BSI unit. no indicators, central locking, wipers, ignition lights, radio etc.

i could find no fault or reason for this so sent the BSI to BBA Reman in kent. they have tested it and found nothing wrong with it and suggested a blown fuse or bad wiring?

Now i have check the fuses under the steering wheel and in the engine bay and cant find a dead one, but if you see my thread on my fuse box you will see it doesnt quite match up with haynes manual so i dont know if the fues are in the right place or not.

Are there any common places to look for this type of problem?

Thanks
Ricky
Rustscrats your man !. He will sort you out.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • Rustscrat
A few questions, when you say "no ignition lights" do you mean the dash is completely dead or do you get any lamps lit?

Do the indicators work with the hazard switch?
Do your brake lights work with the ignition on?
When you put on dipped beam does this indicate on the dash and the same for the high beam?

Have you checked the main fuses in the engine fuse box. These are the large ones. There may be some mounted vertically around the sides.

Have you checked your ignition switch?

Let us know what you find. Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
Hi Rustscat,

"A few questions, when you say "no ignition lights" do you mean the dash is completely dead or do you get any lamps lit?"

cycling through the ignition key points first and second click the only warning light to illuminate is the oil warning light.

"Do the indicators work with the hazard switch?"

The indicators do not work with the hazard switch or through the indicator switch.

"Do your brake lights work with the ignition on?"

Yes brake lights work as they should.

"When you put on dipped beam does this indicate on the dash and the same for the high beam?"

Yes dipped and main beam turn on and light up on the dash.

"Have you checked the main fuses in the engine fuse box. These are the large ones. There may be some mounted vertically around the sides."

Yes checked them and all seem to be in the right place and working

"Have you checked your ignition switch?"

How would i do this?

Some other bits of info that may help,
- The interior/door lights do not work but the reading light (toggle left and right) does work.
-The electric windows do not work but the passenger electric mirror does work.
-The car will start and run just fine just not driving it without indicators.

Im hopping that may help you the narrow the problem down.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Ric
OK a quick update and some more info for you to scratch your head at.

got the bsi back from bba reman today. popped it back into the car and with no surprise there was no change.

so i started looking at the fuse box and putting a 15amp fuse in the empty slots. i only got to F6 and the bsi kicked in and everything works like it should! Brilliant i think but not so fast!

when i turn the ignition off its dead again, no windows or central looking etc.

turning the ignition back on and everything works but the radio ask for a code so i know as i turn the ignition off power is cut to the bsi??

Im convinced now this is a fuse box problem but it would seem if i follow the haynes its all wrong. where do i turn for an accurate fuse box list??
Ok, lets look at something simple that's not working - the electric windows.

This gets a single supply from the BSI (fuse F) through a relay then to your window control / switches. Since you say all the fuses are ok then the problem must be that the relay is not operating when the ignition is switched on. (can you hear any clicks when turning on the ignition?)
Can't see this being the relay it's self as there are too many other problems. (all these go through the Bsi).
As the BSI has been checked there must be something missing.
To start with check the earth points MC14 and MC38. I think MC38 is located on the drivers foot-well inner wing just up from the sill.
MC14 is in the engine bay N,Side inner wing around the headlamp area.
See drawings. Let us know what you find.:thumbsup:
Have you got a multimeter? as you'll need one from here.
If possible could you post a picture of your fuse box under the steering wheel.
Just for info, all items that are working do not go through the Bsi.
Did you get your Lexia working?

[Image: 23s65h.png]

[Image: 14kl6pw.png]

(17-10-2012, 04:15 PM)Ricbob123 Wrote:  OK a quick update and some more info for you to scratch your head at.

got the bsi back from bba reman today. popped it back into the car and with no surprise there was no change.

so i started looking at the fuse box and putting a 15amp fuse in the empty slots. i only got to F6 and the bsi kicked in and everything works like it should! Brilliant i think but not so fast!

turning the ignition back on and everything works but the radio ask for a code so i know as i turn the ignition off power is cut to the bsi??

Im convinced now this is a fuse box problem but it would seem if i follow the haynes its all wrong. where do i turn for an accurate fuse box list??

Ok, disregard my last post.

Your model of van is the later Mk1 as it's got the Bsi. The earlier models have a different fuse box. I guess you have been swapping the fuses about or did you get the van like this? If you can post a good picture of your fuse box this will help. :thumbsup:

(17-10-2012, 04:18 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Ok, lets look at something simple that's not working - the electric windows.

This gets a single supply from the BSI (fuse F) through a relay then to your window control / switches. Since you say all the fuses are ok then the problem must be that the relay is not operating when the ignition is switched on. (can you hear any clicks when turning on the ignition?)
Can't see this being the relay it's self as there are too many other problems. (all these go through the Bsi).
As the BSI has been checked there must be something missing.
To start with check the earth points MC14 and MC38. I think MC38 is located on the drivers foot-well inner wing just up from the sill.
MC14 is in the engine bay N,Side inner wing around the headlamp area.
See drawings. Let us know what you find.:thumbsup:
Have you got a multimeter? as you'll need one from here.
If possible could you post a picture of your fuse box under the steering wheel.
Just for info, all items that are working do not go through the Bsi.
Did you get your Lexia working?

[Image: 23s65h.png]

[Image: 14kl6pw.png]

(17-10-2012, 04:15 PM)Ricbob123 Wrote:  OK a quick update and some more info for you to scratch your head at.

Ok, disregard my last post.

Your model of van is the later Mk1 as it's got the Bsi. The earlier models have a different fuse box. I guess you have been swapping the fuses about or did you get the van like this? If you can post a good picture of your fuse box this will help. :thumbsup:

Fuse 6 feeds your speedo cluster.
Rustscat yes ive been swapping fuses about, because i was having (still having) problems with the lexia i thought i would check/renew and sort out my fuse box. i wrongly assumed the haynes would be right and followed it to the letter. now in a world of pain as it would seem my box is not like the one described in haynes and i cant remember what it was like before.

Im trying to put a photo on here but the tiny2pic thing is not working. i'll put it up as soon as i can.
Re tiny2pic - once it's uploaded, copy the address and paste into post. :thumbsup:
Ive fix it, i think!

looking around the net and on this forum i have found some photos of the same box as i have. The BSI fuse that i said was F6 is infact a separate slot between F5 & F6. it is this fuse that supplies power to the BSI, if you put the fuse in normally like all the others it takes power from the ignition but if you offset it (there's space to move it up one pin) then it gets permanent live power.

so the car is working as it should now, which makes me very happy!!!
wish i had an accurate fuse box layout tho, its still a mystery to me.

still not got the lexia working and i think it maybe a duff unit. Anyone around the sheffield area with a lexia i could test with, just to see if my unit is not working?

Thanks for your help Rustscat and others.
:woop: The item you have moved is called the "shunt" usually solid link or a high rated fuse.
Confusedalut: