Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Battery cover removal
I want to change my battery but can't get the battery cover off. I've followed the instructions and removed the fuse block cover and the fuse block. The instructions then say to pull forward and slightly upward on the cover to remove the cover. I can't get it to budge. Before I get violent with it has anyone done this before on a MK3 ?? Is there some trick to it?? Thanks in advance.

Tom
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

Found the trick and replaced the original Tudor with a Varta Silver Dymanic E44.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

What was the trick - candlelight dinner and a good bottle of red, followed by a cuddle?
(21-03-2013, 10:36 AM)addo Wrote:  What was the trick - candlelight dinner and a good bottle of red, followed by a cuddle?

That's a "shocking" thing to ask somebody you are only on writing terms with.RolleyesRolleyes
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I think addo is right, what was the trick?
Always helps the rest of us struggling owners if someone discovers something handy and posts it on the Forum. I'm in the process of deciding to change my Mk3 battery and would love to know how to get the strange black cover off. I only lifted the positive terminal cover flap for a look and it snapped off :censored: So I dread to think what havoc I can wreak if I try to remove it:whistle:
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement… 

2017 Berlingo Multispace Flair 120
2013 C5 Tourer 2.2HDi Excl
Previously:
2012 C5 Tourer 1.6HDi auto
2012 Berlingo Enterprise 1.6HDi Van
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue (really!)
(22-03-2013, 11:28 AM)Argos69 Wrote:  I think addo is right, what was the trick?
Always helps the rest of us struggling owners if someone discovers something handy and posts it on the Forum. I'm in the process of deciding to change my Mk3 battery and would love to know how to get the strange black cover off. I only lifted the positive terminal cover flap for a look and it snapped off :censored: So I dread to think what havoc I can wreak if I try to remove it:whistle:

Having had the electrical power completely cut out on starting, regularly since my car returned from its MOT at the Citroen main dealer and having to bump start my Mk3 1.6 XTR Diesel each time, I called my Rescue organisation and was told I needed a new battery as the tester showed an internal battery fault.

I thought it was an earth /connection issue and wasn't willing to put in a new battery (£80 - £100) without fully checking for the cause of the problem.

I searched yesterday for information on how to remove the cover and spoke to two Citroen garages this morning - neither was a great deal of help.

However, a young mechanic at my local Peugeot/Volvo dealer (Harratt's in Sheepscar, Leeds) showed me what to do - summarised below:

Mk3 Berlingo/Partner BATTERY COVER REMOVAL:

1) Carefully unclip the red cover to the right of the battery,

2) then again with care, unclip the positive terminal connector and gently unclip (right side at top) and pull the connecter plate out a tiny amount towards the front of the car at the bottom (front of battery) and ease the plate up (some may need a screwdriver underneath. DO NOT force anything.

3) Grip the base of the battery cover below the positive terminal and tug upwards firmly. The cover will detach upwards and pull out towards the front of the car.

4) Battery removal requires removal of the clamping plate on the left side of the battery - looks like bolt requires 10mm spanner.

I did not need to remove/replace my battery - looks like the -ve connecter had been removed/unclamped, but not secured - most likely during the "Free Check" included with the MOT test or else it was to con me into buying a new battery. Who knows?

What a pity Honda or Mazda don't make a Multispace equivalent!

If I go for a new one next year, I shall probably go back to the Peugeot garage for a Partner.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to rha8 for this post:
  • addo, dellwood333, Opensauce
I'm wondering what the point of a battery cover is?
(05-11-2013, 08:14 AM)Opensauce Wrote:  I'm wondering what the point of a battery cover is?

It supposedly keeps moisture, spray etc off the battery terminals (and salt spray during UK winter) and provides somewhere to attach the connector plate.

Sea-going boats always have a closed battery box to keep saltwater off the terminals.

The original Minis had the distributor directly behind the grille and suffered serious starting problems in wet conditions until a waxed cardboard protector was designed to keep spray off them.