Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo 09
Hi guys,my hooter stopped working last few days,it was a bit on and off but has now stopped,checked fuses,any other tips?,my dad has to replace a copper band on his to repair the hooter,is this an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its the earth connection under the airbag on the steering wheel, Its common have a search on the forum there is plenty of how to repair it.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Good man,thank you for the guidance.Top stuff

Have a read of this thread it shows the connection on the steering wheel under the airbag http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-3633-page-2.html Its not hard to do just be careful taking the airbag off, you need to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes before you start. Then remove the cowl around the column then unclip the airbag. Support the airbag as not to damage cables and you will see the crappy spade type connector pushed in the hole in the centre of the wheel. I just cut of the connector drilled a small hole in the wheel put a ring connector on the wire and secure it with a self tapper. Ive done both my berlingos by this method and no problem. Some have tried wrapping copper wire around the bottom of the steering column and earthing it through a bolt near by.
Thanks mate

If you disconnect the battery for 20 min,does it ensure the airbag not going off?

Yes it does but just be careful. To get the airbag off there is 3 holes in the back of the wheel that you put a thin screwdriver in an flick the tensioned spring to release. When you have finished make sure everything is switched off including the interior lights then connect the battery you don't get any strange electrical issues.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • kierc0857
(12-05-2015, 06:36 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Yes it does but just be careful. To get the airbag off there is 3 holes in the back of the wheel that you put a thin screwdriver in an flick the tensioned spring to release. When you have finished make sure everything is switched off including the interior lights then connect the battery  you don't get any strange electrical issues.
I removed the air bag as you said, and took this pic. I cleaner the 3 copper contacts and the earth connection looked tight and ok?.Still nothing.
Here is the pic

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You want the thin black wire pushed in a square hole in the steering wheel centre. It would of been a tight fit originally but over time it gets slack a crap design really. To check the earth try running a wire from it to a good earth say the door stay.