Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Buyer Beware - Do your homework
Hi all

This is my first post!!

I am looking for a 2 ltr HDI Berlingo and travelled over 100 miles today to go and see what looked like a very good car from a trader.

I looked the car over and thought this would be good, it was in a good colour and the spec I desired.

I took a loving glancing look back at the vehicle while I went to sort the fund out, and had a strange feeling.

As the sun shone on the coachwork along the tailgate, where it meets the bumper I could see that it looked bent. This raised a concern as I was told that a dull noise on the N/S rear wheel was a mudguard rubbing.

Upon further inspection I could see that the rear N/S pillar was bent and had tried to be knocked out and sprayed over. I removed the rubber floor mat and could see the hammer marks and general mess.

There was no doubt about this car had been in a severe smash, repaired and now being sold on.

I nearly bought this car for my family. I did not think that this car was potential for this kind of behaviour, but guess I was wrong.

If you are in the market for a car at the moment, please please take a look at this kind of thing, don't ignore your instinct and no how matter much you desire the car. Walk away.

Sorry for the gloomy first post but I was gutted!! I think it best I do not mention the dealer. The car will speak for itself if you read this and come across it.

Cheers
Welcome to the site Craig. Always good to be reminded about the good the bad and the ugly on the Market.

I've spoken to many sellers on the phone, traders and the rest, who have sworn blindly that the car is in mint condition, no accidents and the like, only to see 4 differently coloured panels
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Hi and welcome to the forum Craig

Sounds like a lucky escape. Did you do an HPI check? If it was seller and it had been in an accident (Cat C or D) then they are legally obliged to state this from the outset. Sounds a very similar situation to another member here a few months ago.

Have you got a link to an advert?

Cheers
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

I never got to the stage of doing the HPI check, so cannot say for cerain whether the car was Cat C/D. But my opinion was that the car had been in a severe accident.

I relied on hours of Mike Brewer "Wheeler Dealer" for my research.

The car is cheap and can be found on Autotrader, the car is priced to atrract custom.
I would be helpful to post a link to this car, as having looked on Autotrader nothing stands out. Your post is worthless without one. You say that you were concerned because you might have been driving your family in a potentially unsafe car. This is exactly what is likely to happen to someone else who might not have had the benefit of watching hours of Mike Brewer and might not be as eagle eyed as you.

If you believe that the dealer will come after you with their lawyers or big boots then please feel free to send it to me as a PM and I will happily take it up.

2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.