Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo buying advice?
Hi people,

This is my first thread on here and I don't even have a berlingo yet! Just want to say that the forum looks like it is very good indeed with some very knowledgeable people.

I have a few questions regarding the berlingo,

1. does the multi space have the same rear suspension as the van? if not what load can the multispace carry?
2. Could I get a mountain bike in the back of either standing upright?
3. does the multispace have cargo anchor points?
4. Whats the problem with the multispace eating rear tyres? something to do with toe in I beleive? and what can be done to   rectify this?
5. can a tailgate be fitted to the van instead of the barn doors?

I hope that's not too many questions and hope the berlingo is a good van as I think its one of the better looking ones on the market just now.

Thanks

Ash
Hi superted,
                   Welcome to the forum.

I'll try and give you some answers, I don't have a multispace so they will be guesses on my part.

1/. I think so  , 1a I would think the same as a van.

2/  I can in my van . Took one to the dump  ( sorry recycling place ! ) recently . For some reason it couldn't get up hills never mind mountains.

3/ I think it will have maybe only at the rear , or at least holes for them.

4/ It usually occurs when the bearings in the swinging suspension arm wear/collapse and upsets the rear wheel geometry.  Depends what use it has had to put excess wear on the rear suspension.  Can be expensive to repair.

5/ don't know but it would be interesting project

Some one will be along soon who will know as this post should be at the top of the list now.
Welcome Ted, some answers depend upon which Berlingo you have in mind. I have an early MkIII (latest shape) Multispace, we get both our adult bikes upright in the rear easily, in fact its the main reason we bought it as we go on cycle holidays every year. The rear seats come out relatively easy in the MkIII, I think the early models were bolted in as well as the loadspace being smaller, others may know more accurately. There are ample anchor points in the rear to secure our bikes using bungees.

I've never had any rear tyre problems, I know some have but I suspect its due to kerbing damage or lack of maintenance.
Hello superted welcome to the for um good to have you with us 1/ yes 2/yes 3/yes 4/ what model are you thinking of getting MK 3 most are OK but a few eat tyre's on the back for some reason also some pull to the left quite badly check this when you drive it 5/ i think it would be a lot of work to do ??  Smile
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Hi ash you buying for biking? Just bought one on Friday specifically for biking/hiking/camping trips and picking up on Tuesday, I think a full built bike will be a stretch standing up, but not impossible, especially if you've no bulkhead. Not sure otherwise but I'll get some pics of mine with the bike in when I pick it up on Tuesday...
Thanks for the feedback people, I really need something that is practical like the Berlingo but I cannot decide over the van or the multispace (It will need cruise control at some point which I believe can be fitted)
Remember that van insurance is more expensive than car insurance......
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • philip
..plus car speed limits. Smile
____

2010 B9 Multispace VTR 1.6 Petrol 90hp
(24-03-2015, 03:16 PM)doofer Wrote:  You can use the car as a van, but can't use the van as a car.

Plus you can see out of the back windows and it's much quieter due to all the soundproofing.

+1
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
Getting a bike - or two or three or even four - in a Berlingo is no problem. I remove the nearside rear seat, remove the front wheels of my bike and my wife's, and stand the bikes side by side, fixing them with bungee ropes and some strategically placed foam padding to stop any rattling. Then off we go to France and the Netherlands. There is still heaps of room for cases etc. We're in France at the moment having brought two bikes, a suitcase and loads of stuff for our daughter and her children who live there. That's why I am now on my fourth Berlingo Multispace. No other car passes my 'will I get two bikes and loads of other stuff inside?' test.