Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.57 Average
Berlingo multispace suitable for dogs?
Hi

Im thinking about getting an old Berlingo Multispace for transporting my dogs around. Could some kind soul help me out with answers to a few questions?

I've read that the back windows only open slightly, so the dogs will need something with sun roof and air con, right?
Can i expect the air con to be working on an old car?
How long can i expect the electrics to last in the front windows? (Here im wondering whether all French electrics have a bad reputation, or whether its just the Pug!)

Anything else i need to consider regarding dogs and berlingo multispace?

Are the smaller hdi engines as reliable as the old 2l hdi? Is there any point in getting a 1.4 petrol?

Thanks
You won't find one with a sunroof AND aircon. Sunroofs are are rare enough as it is.

It depends on where you will be travelling and for how long. The rear windows don't open much, but I've never had a problem even in "summer" with my dog in mine. I've never left her in it when stationary though.

Whether the aircon is working or not depends more on whether it has been maintained properly, rather than it's age. Even if it is, it's not the most powerful system in a car I've ever come acrosss, there's an awful lot of interior space for it to cool.

Electrics, all joking aside, things like windows don't appear to give too many problems.

Any of the ehngines will perform well to their different charcteristics, again full service history is the crucial thing - not just stamps in a book, but receipts for any and all work done.
Aircon was not standard in any of the older Berlingos so quite rare to find one with this option anyway. Usually aircon in older cars don't work because of cost of replacing failed compressor. If electric window fails you could have hand wound regulator fitted for not much cost I would think. Manual regulator was fitted to vans so will be available from Citroen parts dept. With front window open slightly & rear side windows in open position I would think air circulation for dogs would be ideal. If you are not worried about speed your most reliable engine option might be 1.9 diesel, just ensure you have evidence of cambelt change or budget for cambelt change before you use it.
I've got an 03/00 Berlingo with standard - for Australia - factory air (and the Popemobile roof hatch). A/C still blows cold; the secret is to always use it and vary your heater setting at the same time.

1.4 is a bit gutless IMO, also the MA series gearboxes on smaller motors (1.1, 1.4, 1.6) are not very durable.
Another thing, from your intro post.

If your dog is having problems getting into the 406, is this because of it's height? If so, check that he can get into the Berlingo - mine sits quite high and with my old girl I either have to lift her in and out or use a ramp.
I find the windows in the back Ideal for the dog, not wide enough for the dog to put her head out but big enough opening for good ventilation, and if you need to leave it open when you pop into a shop there is less risk of a break in.
(06-01-2013, 12:53 PM)Coco Wrote:  Another thing, from your intro post.

If your dog is having problems getting into the 406, is this because of it's height? If so, check that he can get into the Berlingo - mine sits quite high and with my old girl I either have to lift her in and out or use a ramp.

Thanks for your reply.

Getting him back into the car after a walk is a major hurdle and my life is on hold until i get this sorted. I was looking for a disabled persons car with a wheelchair ramp for my dog, which is how i came across the Berlingo in the first place and hence my subsequent obsession with them. Ive tried putting a ramp to assist him, but ramps and saloon dont work cos of the angle of the door, but hopefully a ramp would work on the side sliding door when seats folded back, right? Smile Ive also tried caravan steps against the 406 door, but he dont like them. I reckon that its worth changing car because the possibility of getting him in and out of a berlingo is much better because of the sliding side door and the massive door at the back.

Do you reckon the height of the Berlingo floor is higher than the back seat of the 406?

T

All your replies are much appreciated Smile

I now know that air con and sunroofs dont go together, and that sunroofs are rare. And I got to be aware of cambelt (yup same as Pug as 80k, right?). Also i dont need to be too concerned about electric windows going kapput as i can get a wind down whatnot.

And thanks for all the other hints Smile
Hi Christine over the years ive had 2 retrievers that have struggled to get in the back of my cars as they got older. First I always parked so it was easier for the dog by backing up to a mound or a sloping bank but if not I used a ramp. It takes a bit of time getting them to use the ramp and make sure its wide and stable but it will be worth it. Just take it gently and lead them up and down at their own pace. I had a renault kangoo for years that has a nice low flat floor and I have a berlingo van now and that works just as good. One thing I did use was anti slip tape on the ramps and also on the top face of the bumper to give the dog some grip. You can get it in 50mm wide rolls on ebay. Good luck.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
My father in law has a peugeot partner and 2 dogs , not sure of breed but he uses a mobility ramp that folds up and then he stores in boot, the link below is something similar to what he got.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobility-Scoot...2a1491722f

He finds the rear windows let in sufficient air but dont leave them too long in summer when stationary as berlingos/partner can get very hot with all the glass.
(06-01-2013, 07:33 PM)BerlingoHDI Wrote:  My father in law has a peugeot partner and 2 dogs , not sure of breed but he uses a mobility ramp that folds up and then he stores in boot, the link below is something similar to what he got.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobility-Scoot...2a1491722f

He finds the rear windows let in sufficient air but dont leave them too long in summer when stationary as berlingos/partner can get very hot with all the glass.

Thanks for the link. Im looking for something about 4ft long. I tried a 2ft ramp yesterday, and it was made an angle of 45 degrees, which is too steep for my gsd. I tried a 4ft ramp which was much better, but alas way too heavy, ie it would be extremely difficult to hold gsd on lead cos i would have needed two hands free to put ramp up and i live inner city, so need to keep dog on lead at all times.