Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Berlingo on rough roads
Hello there,

I'm considering buying a Berlingo Multispace (Mk3). I'll be using the vehicle to go to my allotment on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the road leading up to the allotment includes about a quarter of a mile of *very* rough and broken road with a deep crack on one side. I've been up there in an old Vauxhall Meriva which manages the road pretty well (I don't want to buy a Meriva for other reasons, though). Cars with smaller ground clearance feel like they could be damaged if driven up there frequently.

My question is: will the Berlingo be able to deal with this stretch of road if driven up there regularly? Also, does anyone know what the ground clearance on the Berlingo is? I've researched 'Berlingo ground clearance' on the web but haven't been able to find a figure (how many mm?). Various websites mention the XTR model which has raised suspension and reinfornced underbody, however they don't give specific details. Does anyone know what the ground clearance is on the XTR as opposed to, say, the VTR? Finally, how will the suspension be affected by regular use on rough terrain? I'm aware of the suspension clunking noise documented on another thread -- if I do get a clunking suspension on my Berlingo, will I be risking damaging it by driving the car up to the allotment?

Any help on this matter will be gratefully received!
(09-06-2013, 07:42 AM)allotmenteer Wrote:  Hello there,

I'm considering buying a Berlingo Multispace (Mk3). I'll be using the vehicle to go to my allotment on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the road leading up to the allotment includes about a quarter of a mile of *very* rough and broken road with a deep crack on one side. I've been up there in an old Vauxhall Meriva which manages the road pretty well (I don't want to buy a Meriva for other reasons, though). Cars with smaller ground clearance feel like they could be damaged if driven up there frequently.

My question is: will the Berlingo be able to deal with this stretch of road if driven up there regularly? Also, does anyone know what the ground clearance on the Berlingo is? I've researched 'Berlingo ground clearance' on the web but haven't been able to find a figure (how many mm?). Various websites mention the XTR model which has raised suspension and reinfornced underbody, however they don't give specific details. Does anyone know what the ground clearance is on the XTR as opposed to, say, the VTR? Finally, how will the suspension be affected by regular use on rough terrain? I'm aware of the suspension clunking noise documented on another thread -- if I do get a clunking suspension on my Berlingo, will I be risking damaging it by driving the car up to the allotment?

Any help on this matter will be gratefully received!
I feel your fears are unfounded
Remember the Berlingo is ,dependant on your politics, a van with windows /a car without.
It is designed for utilitarian duties like lugging goods or folk around and unusual circumstances will be factored into this.
The clunking is the not related to wear or suspension travel-its an issue with the seating of the units.
I had a MK3 van that rattled the back end from brand new,my current one is silent though.
Some people are enraged by this and some dont give a flyer to it.

I do some reasonably nasty surfaces and some (dry weather) off road jobs in my MK3 and it copes ok - you do have to watch the front plastic bumper overhang on really rough grassland though -my old C15 was more of an expert at this sort of stuff though you could actually slide underneath the car without jacking it up!
195/60 tyres on steels are preferable to anything lower and alloys.

The plastic engine underpanel is the lowest point on mine at approx 130mm
Next in line are the suspension arms front and rear at around 150mm.
I cant give an underbody hight at the moment as its fully loaded ready to go and waiting for me to stop pratting around on the internet.
What you gain with XTR's raised hight you would partially lose with the extra sump protection.
If your previous road car went up the track you shouldnt have any trouble.
The amount of times you travel up there shouldnt matter either as long as you take your time.
Consider the state of most 50-60 mph roads -the wear and tear equivalent will be the same.
Could you not book a test drive in one and accidentally take a wrong turn that goes up your lane?......
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post:
  • addo
That's very reassuring evdama, thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly.
my tyres are 215 55 16 on steels , seem rather large
2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp XTR
rdfb2, thanks for replying, is this the type of tyres your Berlingo came with or did you have them fit afterwards? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but are they better for dealing with rough surfaces than other types?

Noticing that you have the XTR model, do you happen to know the ground clearance of your vehicle? Also, have you used it on any rough roads? If so, how has it coped?
I have a VTR with 15" alloys and 15" steel winter tyres. I drive up and down at least 4 times a day a very rough farm track, some cars have ripped their exhaust off, some their underbelly pans, I have never had a problem in the 3 years I have been doing this. DONT worry, just drive carefully.Pete.
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
Again, that's very reassuring, pch, thanks for replying.