Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Brake lights not working
I think that I probably put the below thread in the wrong area really ....

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=5205

Story so far....
Brakes lights not working, checked bulbs, checked the fuse (I think), so now replaced the brake pedal switch.... still nothing.... any thoughts or help please, I am stuck now!
You need to check for voltage at the bulbs and the switch before going too deep, if you have voltage then maybe there is an earthing issue ???
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • ron
All the other lights are working from both clusters. This is a real pain, no other vehicle on the road at the min!!!
Shhhhh...... Don't say I said it but at a push you could drive by day and turn the side lights on /off to simulate brake lights until you get sorted.

Did you have voltage at the bulb holder ?
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Need to try and get a tester on it today if I can. All the other lights at the back are working. But not been able to specifically test the brake light circuit.
Hi, this any help? :thumbsup:

2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
It's something to work with tomorrow in the snow! Need to go and get a tester tomorrow, didn't solve today. This van will be the death of me!
So a little update. Confirmed voltage to the switch, switch working as can get voltage after the switch (on off as per the switch). So looks like something between the switch and the lights ... The plan is to run a new cable for the brake lights, from the switch to the lights... that should do it shouldn't it???
Just a thought, seeing as the brake light circuit splits into two (left & right with separate earths) and you have replaced the lamps etc, chances are it's either a break in the feed wire or you are getting a back feed from the brake switch. Try feeding a lamp directly from the switched side of the pedal and see if it lights when pressed.
Let us know what you find. :thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
On my partner Van there are two connector blocks ,1 each side behind the seats which are prone to corrosion. The connectors had rotted off on mine. All the rear lights run through them.
Do as Rustscrat says then check connector blocks. I'm not sure if the berlingo multispace has them there but on the van follow the loom back from the lights and you'll find them under a plate which has 4 torx screws .