Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
[Brakes] Replacing Brake Front Discs
I have a 2007 1.6Hdi that is due it's MOT soon and checking the Front Brakes they were quite low but also looking at the actual discs they could do with replacing. The front disc pad replacement is quite straightforward but can I get the discs off...No way!..The two large bolts (which I think are T55 size??) that hold the frame for the front caliper are completely solid even after a good soak with WD40. Anyone got any tips on how to remove these? (there isn't enough room for an impact driver)..They would be a lot simpler to remove if the just had normal hex headed bolts..

Thanks for any help
Tony
Hi Tony,There is a thread on this very subject.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Think they are T55 Torx.
Ideally you need a 1/2 (or 3/8) socket Torx and a breaker bar.
Soak in WD40 first, then (carefully) hit them with a hammer (taking into consideration all Health & Safety precautions) to loosen any corrosion. :thumbsup:
(29-10-2012, 09:47 PM)ron Wrote:  Hi Tony,There is a thread on this very subject.

Go on give us a clue. I just did a search and couldn't find it. I've got to do the same job soon on my 1.9D
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
Search for:-
'How do I know what brake discs I need without looking.'
About halfway down Andre did a little 'how to'.
Should be of some assistance...
I feel your pain! I had the same problem a few weeks ago, they would not budge, buggered up two t55 torx bits, then I filed flats on the bolts, then I hammered a socket on, still no joy, I ended up grinding the bolt heads off!

But it still ain't that easy! You need to get the disc off before you can get the caliper off due to the studs still being there, so I had to cut one side of the disc off with a 9" grinder, tuned the disc until the cut off bit lined up with the caliper, then the caliper pushed backward off the studs, the studs came out easy with mole grips.

But it still ain't that easy! It's a funny threaded bolt that took me ages to find! (Local friendly motor factors to the rescue!)

Replaced with normal bolts.

4 :censored::censored: hours!

At least it'll be easy to change next time :woop:
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
(30-10-2012, 08:48 AM)crickleymal Wrote:  
(29-10-2012, 09:47 PM)ron Wrote:  Hi Tony,There is a thread on this very subject.

Go on give us a clue. I just did a search and couldn't find it. I've got to do the same job soon on my 1.9D

Hi Malc,Not exactly the same but relative is the thread "rear brake drum screws". Please forgive an old git.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Try warming the fastening with a blowlamp then a good soak with Plus Gas. Don't get things too hot as you want the fluid to penetrate, not boil off. Also worth trying to tighten the fasteners just a tad - sometimes helps. Been there, got the skinned knuckles so good luck.
When you fit the new bolts give the threads a good smear of Coppaslip - could save you some grief next time around.
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey