Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 3.26 Average
Breathing....
in theory it should increase mpg as less energy is being used to push exhaust gases down the pipe....

bhp increase isnt really that important, you are never going to get any significant gains over the stock 70bhp without spending big money anyway... but by freeing up the breathing you are allowing the engine to rev more freely, increasing responsiveness and drive-ability(sp?), and that should have benefits regarding torque
53 plate 1.9d Multispace Forte

Upgraded t'wireless and front speakers, loads more planned but not much action.. Wink
I have used the Cold Air Induction route on many cars over the years, I used to be into modifying some years ago and although i know these CAI kits are not what they are cracked up to be (especially with their over inflated claims of BHP gains!)
I have used them because it dresses up the engine bay by getting rid of large and convoluted air boxes and trunking and it also can give a lovely induction roar (I am talking about Alfa V6's , M3's and the like here!)

I have recently used these RamAir induction kits..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RamAir-Filter-Cold...1454wt_905 ....
They are made of Stainless with a fully enclosed cone filter and with the large diameter flexi-ducting can be routed low down in the engine bay to grab lots of cold air from the ground. They are also a doddle to fit and cheaper and better than many on the market today ( i have not measured the diameter of the induction pipe after the MAF on the Berlingo but a universal adapter is supplied so it may do the job, a piece of silicone hose could be easily got if there were problems with the connection.)
They will definitely route a lot more air to the induction side and the engine will breath a lot better.

ps, this thread has got me thinking now!!!
MPV (My own Personal Vehicle)....2.0 HDi Multispace MPV Mk2 .

I Like Cars,Women,Drink & Motorbikes but not necessarily in that order!
I cant imagine a nice roar on a 1.6 diesel, but I could be wrong?
(13-03-2011, 11:33 PM)fildigger Wrote:  They are made of Stainless with a fully enclosed cone filter and with the large diameter flexi-ducting can be routed low down in the engine bay to grab lots of cold air from the ground.

A word of caution with these; fitting a CAI low down can leave you at risk to sucking up water and hydolocking the engine. Taking off the sensible hat now, I would love to see a "stealth Berlingo" with some serious BHP!

2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

is that possible with a diesel? or would it have to be a petrol?
Pete
(14-03-2011, 10:31 AM)pch Wrote:  is that possible with a diesel? or would it have to be a petrol?
Pete

Hi Pete

Do you mean that Hydrolocking wouldn't be possible with a diesel or the "serious BHP"? I am not an expert so happy to be corrected Smile

CAIs and hydrolocking was a big issue on another forum that I have been part of, so I thought it was worth mentioning, but these were all relating to petrol engines to be fair.

I have read about a Berlingo with a 3.0 litre V6 fitted, though I reckon that a 2.0 16v from a Xsara VTR (163bhp) would be fun and perhaps more straightforward to do?

The phenomenon known as "hydraulicing" is possible on any engine.
Diesels seem to be more prone to it, possibly because petrol engines would probably get the ignition system, leads, distributor cap etc soaked in water which would stop the engine whereas a diesel would attempt to run even when immersed in water.
For those who don't know, when the air intake is immersed in water the engine will suck in water instead of air on the induction cycle and as the piston starts to rise on its compression stroke the trapped water in the cylinder will try to become compressed on the compression stroke. Unfortunately, liquids are to all intents incompressibly so the twisting force from the crankshaft is transferred to the connection rod causing it to bend, snap or even force itself through the wall of the crankcase.
To avoid this it is sensible not to drive through deep water or floods and to ensure that the air intake is mounted as high as practicably possible, not dragging on the floor as is suggested in some of the customisation forums and threads.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Water ingress is NOT a good idea at all.... Ram effect isn't really what I am after, just an easier breathing engine, cold air just needs to be routed to the filter, it doesn't have to be en enclosed system...

Has anyone ever fitted a snorkel to a 'lingo ?? Wink
53 plate 1.9d Multispace Forte

Upgraded t'wireless and front speakers, loads more planned but not much action.. Wink
(14-03-2011, 02:14 PM)Grimsqueaker Wrote:  Water ingress is NOT a good idea at all.... Ram effect isn't really what I am after, just an easier breathing engine, cold air just needs to be routed to the filter, it doesn't have to be en enclosed system...

Has anyone ever fitted a snorkel to a 'lingo ?? Wink

Funnily enough, I did suggest it in this thread about a soggy Berlingo http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=115

Just read over your first post grim. Has it made much difference taking off the pipe at all? Didn't see that you'd done that first time I read.

Had a look at the intake today. Lucky I did as the filter casing was loose. Thought I could hear a rattling lol know what it was now
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White