Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Broken coil spring
Hey folks

I've had a bit of a bad start to the day today...

I went to drive off and there was a horrible growling noise coming from the driver side front. After I looked at it the coil spring had broken and is leaning on the tyre. Luckily where it had broken did not gouge the tyre.

My question - is this something a DIY mechanic (me) could do, or is it worth just getting it done at a garage? I'm a bit wary of these spring as there are horror stories of broken fingers multiple lacerations.

The previous things I have done with reasonable ease
Discs and pads
Drums and shoes
Exhaust Back box
Glows plugs, relay and cables
Drop links
EGR replacement and then blocking after 6 months as the replacement clogged up....

So would it be worth buying a set of spring compressors and springs and starting to unbolting stuff and swearing at it?

If not around how much should it cost to have it done?

Pictures of the offending spring here:

[Image: oidjwk.jpg]

[Image: mj04y0.jpg]
2005 Enterprise 600 1.9D - It did 85 once but started to smell funny.
(25-01-2015, 08:30 PM)Silent_Bob Wrote:  Hey folks

I've had a bit of a bad start to the day today...

I went to drive off and there was a horrible growling noise coming from the driver side front. After I looked at it the coil spring had broken and is leaning on the tyre. Luckily where it had broken did not gouge the tyre.

My question - is this something a DIY mechanic (me) could do, or is it worth just getting it done at a garage? I'm a bit wary of these spring as there are horror stories of broken fingers multiple lacerations.

The previous things I have done with reasonable ease
Discs and pads
Drums and shoes
Exhaust Back box
Glows plugs, relay and cables
Drop links
EGR replacement and then blocking after 6 months as the replacement clogged up....

So would it be worth buying a set of spring compressors and springs and starting to unbolting stuff and swearing at it?

If not around how much should it cost to have it done?

Pictures of the offending spring here:

[Image: oidjwk.jpg]

[Image: mj04y0.jpg]
If you follow the safety notes & use decent compressor There should be no accidents.I use a strip of emery cloth between clamp & spring to minimise slipping.If you're not happy to do it,don't but it is a straightforward job. Wink Smile
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
As Ron says take it slowly and you should be fine - a compressor and air gun would make things easier.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
The only special tool you need is spring compressors and a deep spanner (I think it was 22"). You can rent spring compressors from your local tool hire shop but then again they sell on ebay for anything between 10-20gbp. Apart from that job is very much DIY friendly. Also don't worry, every Berlingo owner pretty much has done a coil spring replacement. This seems to be very common in the world of Berlingos.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kokain for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
Cheers for the replies guys, I think I'll have a go at it myself, buying a spring compressor is I imagine far cheaper than paying a garage to do it.

My god this van has been trying my patience and bank balance over the last couple of months. The brakes (all round!!), heater plugs and replay and the exhaust fell off... to add to that it still needs a service and it's doing the horn not working thing. Why do these thing always happen around xmas lol

Anyway enough of me moaning, thanks again guys Smile
2005 Enterprise 600 1.9D - It did 85 once but started to smell funny.
The steering wheel need to be earth to get the horn working try it with ING off see if it work's if it does then it will need earthing as the earth is behind the air bag on the steering wheel so you can take the air bag off to fix it or just earth the steering column there is an how to on this i think
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
Often a good idea to get a replacement anti roll bar link, they often don't come off without damage to the old one.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
(26-01-2015, 07:17 AM)Lighty Wrote:  Often a good idea to get a replacement anti roll bar link, they often don't come off without damage to the old one.

I can relate to this, last time I did something similar I had to grind off the bolts holding the drop-link on as it was clear that they were never going to come undone using a socket, easier and quicker to grind than battle with it trying to undo a rusty and seized bolt. The drop link was around £10 i believe.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to hachiroku for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
If you are going to do one side, I wonder if it is worth doing both front springs?
A few years back I had a recall from Citroen for my Mk2 to have 'cups' fitted to the bottom of the springs which stopped the spring from digging into the tyre if it broke, I wonder if they still do this?
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Trevor for this post:
  • Silent_Bob
I would buy a second hand one with everything on it save you messing around with a spring compressor, only proplem with that is its second hand and might not last as long but would be quicker and not much messing.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to joshed for this post:
  • Silent_Bob