Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Buying old Berlingo to convert?
Hello all, my first post here - brought to you whilst searching Berlingo camper options.

I haven't owned a car for a few years - decided to go car free after the last car I owned was written off. My partner has a four wheel drive which we have a bed built into so that we can use for camping. Works ok-ish, but I've started to wonder if we would be a little more comfy in a Berlingo with a boot jump style camper unit in it. If I do buy one it'll only be used as a camper and very occasionally as a run about.

Trouble is - I'll be on a VERY tight budget and looking to buy a 2002 - 2004 Berlingo as thats about as new as I can afford. I've never owned any kind of Citroen before and I'm just worried that it would be completely false economy - would I be spending money constantly on repairs if I bought an old second hand Berlingo? 

Any advice?
As long as you check the rear axle bearings are ok, and it's been serviced regularly, they're pretty reliable vehicles. Mine's never failed on me over the 6 years I've owned it. Of course, it's a Citroen so plastic bits break and there are niggles, but there are no show-stoppers apart from the axle bearings.

Mine might be out your budget, but it's for sale finally...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...085wt_1139
Hope you don't mind me jumping onto this thread.

Re checking the rear wheel bearings, is that just a case of taking the weight off the wheel with a jack and checking for rocking play, as per other cars?

I'm also guessing, seeing as you have mentioned it, that replacing them is not as easy as on most cars ?
Regards to all,
John - (2005 2.0HDi with Modutop roof, mini camper).

The rear wheel bearings and the rear axle bearings are different things. The wheel bearings are obvious but the rear axle bearings are the bearings at the pivot of the swinging suspension arm ,not in the wheel hub. If they are shot the rear wheel has a list into the body at the top.
Ah, thanks for that brodfather11

And I take it they are not an easy / cheep(ish) job to do.

By the way, Fletcher1 I have very similar plans to you, though my budget might be higher when I've fixed and then sold my 80's VW campervan.
Regards to all,

got to say that i think the old berlingos are too short for a camper, think id go for the slightly longer despatch or pug expert.   we just chuck everything (inc a proper mattress) in a lwb transit, got 10 foot to play with there, and leave the multispace at home.
If your eyesight is OK you can check the rear axle visually. Stand a few metres back while the vehicle is standing flat on an even surface. If the rear axle is going you will see one or both wheels at an angle. If only one side is going (or has gone further) put your hand down behind each tyre. If the distance between tyre and bodywork feels different on the two sides be suspicious.
Peugeot Partner Combi 2.0 HDi Escapade
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to iamtoo for this post:
  • ghost123uk
(26-09-2016, 02:19 PM)iamtoo Wrote:  If your eyesight is OK you can check the rear axle visually. Stand a few metres back while the vehicle is standing flat on an even surface. If the rear axle is going you will see one or both wheels at an angle. If only one side is going (or has gone further) put your hand down behind each tyre. If the distance between tyre and bodywork feels different on the two sides be suspicious.
Thanks,

Is replacing them a big & expensive job then?
Regards to all,

(26-09-2016, 01:10 PM)ricc Wrote:  got to say that i think the old berlingos are too short for a camper,
I know what you mean, but I don't need a "full on" camper now, I am currently downsizing from one of those that I own (VW T25).

I just want an economical, reliable vehicle that I can customise the rear space enough to occasionally get my head down in. One of those modern canister cookers will be fine (likely use it outdoors 95% of the time). Maybe a small compressor fridge and leisure battery, that's about all. I have seen some good ideas on here (and elsewhere) for the sort of thing I am imagining. I would love to get to see and sit in / lie in one though, just to see if it will do the job I want.
Regards to all,

(26-09-2016, 03:58 PM)ghost123uk Wrote:  
(26-09-2016, 02:19 PM)iamtoo Wrote:  If your eyesight is OK you can check the rear axle visually. Stand a few metres back while the vehicle is standing flat on an even surface. If the rear axle is going you will see one or both wheels at an angle. If only one side is going (or has gone further) put your hand down behind each tyre. If the distance between tyre and bodywork feels different on the two sides be suspicious.
Thanks,

Is replacing them a big & expensive job then?
300 quid for an axle delivered to your door and a day spent lying under the car skinning your knuckles, getting grit in your eyes and mouth and cursing and making up new swear words.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
2006 Berlingo 2.0hdi desire daily hack
1998 Xantia Activa turbo for fun.