Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabin filters omitted from main dealer service
So I recently noticed that on the last service under warranty (23,750 miles), the main dealer omitted the cabin filter even though its a standard service item. This year I asked about it and am told "we check them and only replaced if needed". Now I know this must be rubbish as most of the work is getting to them. They have also never changed the brake fluid and it's 4 years old now, same story of "we check it and only do if required".

Filters are documented as being done at 12,500 at a main dealer by the previous owner.

So next service is now due so I wanted to see the state of the cabin filter myself out of interest and maybe get a date off them. What do you think of these? They look pretty dirty to me and one is full of seeds and other rubbish. Probably worse is the top one was all scrunched up, and much cleaner suggesting it was being by-passed. No date marking that I can see, but have citroen/peugeot badge on them so original parts.

Interestingly at about 28,000 we had a dead blower motor replaced under warranty. So I thought just maybe they would have replaced the filters then. Now Thinking it died from dirt contamination!

[Image: IMG_7694_zps3qzebpog.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7693_zpsu3rqlgjx.jpg]
I can't work out what actual question you are asking, but they certainly need changing.
I would change the cabin filters, ive seen worse but they still need changing.

The industry guidelines for brake and clutch fluid change is ever two years there is no way i would let it go to four years if you have abs! The hydroscopic nature of the fluid (attracts water) causes the abs module to corrode, Expensive! Personally if a vehicle has abs (as most do now but some small vans dont) i recommend changing the fluid yearly, for non abs vehicles every two to three years is fine.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers
I noticed that the coolant isn't changed in Citroen's "full service" as well. Got to be something wrong if a main dealer's service doesn't correspond with normal practice.

http://info.citroen.co.uk/servicing-offe...1425904410
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
(09-03-2015, 11:02 AM)Solent Wrote:  I can't work out what actual question you are asking, but they certainly need changing.

More expressing a concern that the main dealer isn't following the service specification for a vehicle under warranty, or doing the work with care, which perhaps caused the blower motor to fail. Certainly a lot of seeds and rubbish fell out into the foot well.

Previously they marked the wrong oil down on the service sheet, so god knows what they actually put in, but they swore blind the correct oil was in there.

I've just booked the 37,500 service with an independent I trust, and I'm supplying the oil, fingers crossed!
(09-03-2015, 12:35 PM)ddb Wrote:  I noticed that the coolant isn't changed in Citroen's "full service" as well.  Got to be something wrong if a main dealer's service doesn't correspond with normal practice.

http://info.citroen.co.uk/servicing-offe...1425904410

I talked with them on the phone about this, it seemed the customer needs to specifically ask for brake fluid changes, pollen filters, fuel filter, coolant change. I guess this is so their "service" prices look competitive.
I suspect they charge about £50 for a brake fluid change!
"....seemed the customer needs to specifically ask for brake fluid changes, pollen filters, fuel filter, coolant change...."
As the majority of vehicle owners are not technically oriented and wouldn't know about things like brake fluid changes
and leave their car's well being entirely in the hands of their dealer, particularly in the case of brake fluid changes,
then in the event of an accident I don't think their argument would hold water. In fact they could well be answering
charges of criminal negligence. A disgraceful attitude.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • philip
You would expect the words "full service" to mean exactly that wouldn't you with the possible exclusion of the cam belt.

Their fixed price servicing is not totally unreasonably priced but as hinted above, they then shark and shaft you on other stuff. Back-street £10 MOT garage type tactics with sudden light bulb failures, nails in tyres etc.
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
I think coolant is nowadays lifetime. My citroeon garage changes brake fluid every 2 yrs, they tell me it needs doing, they don't say its optional. I have the fixed price Citroeon service for cars over 3yrs old as indicated on Citroen website & brake fluid change is charged on top of that. I always speak at length to service bloke at service time & discuss the car & the service.