Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.11 Average
Changing battery
Hi guys,

i apologies if this is a really stupid question,

ive got a mk1 1.4 2002 reg. ive not used the van in a couple of months and went to start it yesterday but when i turned the key there was no power or lights coming up on the dash, i followed the BSI guide and disconnected and charged the battery, but ive just reconnected the battery(following the guide) and its still the same.

Just wounder if any ones got any ideas?

thanks again
Hi Egon52,
Do you have any electics working at all? e.g sidelights. If not make sure the battery connections are clean and tight and the earth wire to the vehicle is ok.
Do you have access to a voltmeter? If so, without the engine running (i.e. battery not being charged by the alternater) a fully charged batteery should be about 12.65v or more. 11.89v is 0 to 25% charged. With engine running it should be 13.5 - 14.5v.
Finally, are you happy your battery charger is ok. Again a volt meter will help.
Hope this helps,
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
(02-01-2012, 01:19 PM)Landmark Wrote:  Hi Egon52,
Do you have any electics working at all? e.g sidelights. If not make sure the battery connections are clean and tight and the earth wire to the vehicle is ok.
Do you have access to a voltmeter? If so, without the engine running (i.e. battery not being charged by the alternater) a fully charged batteery should be about 12.65v or more. 11.89v is 0 to 25% charged. With engine running it should be 13.5 - 14.5v.
Finally, are you happy your battery charger is ok. Again a volt meter will help.
Hope this helps,
Griff

Hi griff,

thanks for the reply, no electrics at all, on my charger it tells me when i connect the battery if its 1/3, 1/2 or fully charged, but i was guessing that if the battery dose need replacing it may still have enough juice in it to power the side lights or show some sign of life, i didnt know if it was just me not reconnecting it properly by messing up the BSI reboot or something else

thanks.

Can you substitue a known good battery or get a jump start from another vehicle?
Griff
Or just test your battery by using a 12v bulb and some wire directly on the battery terminals thereby eliminating the vehicle wiring.
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
Hi, If a cell has gone short in the battery (bloody speed humps n pot holes) then you will get these symtoms. Best thing to try would be a known good battery then if that doesn't help check your maxi fuses in the engine bay fuse box. Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool