Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Changing the number plate bulb
Sad 
I have been the owner of my Pug Partner for a couple of months now.

Bought it with a defective light bulb above the number plate. Now I know why.

Having changed the brake light no problem, I now understand why the other was left alone.

I had to remove the plastic fairing on the inside of the rear door, prise off then unscrew the rear inside handle (damaged in process).
Remove the plastic cover which popped off (only 1 popper damaged)
Slit through the coverings to expose the voids in the door panel in order to access the rear of the lightbulb housing.
Managed to squeeze the housing on either side (smaller hands needed) and pop out the light bulb housing.

For such a practical car, what a pain that was. Wish I took the offer from Halfords of an install for £3!!!

Had I not bought the bulbs first I would have fitted LED bulbs as I have seen elsewhere on the site.
Yes, a few of us have experienced this joy.

When (not if !!) my lamps fail next, I think I'll take Halfords up on their offer - should be entertaining if nothing else
(21-02-2012, 12:35 PM)CraigE Wrote:  Had I not bought the bulbs first I would have fitted LED bulbs as I have seen elsewhere on the site.

One of mine has started to flicker. :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::censored:Rolleyes
You can get the light covers off from outside without dismantling the rear door! At the bottom of the clear light cover is a little cutout for a screwdriver blade - insert and twist. I have in my tool box an old flat bladed screwdriver bent at right-angles at the end, this does the job wonderfully...
Dave

Berlingo Multispace 2.0 Hdi (04) - 238K@43mpg - 205/60HR15 XL tyres all round
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - SORN & still 15° retarded...
Xantia 1.9TD Temp2 Estate (97) - 208K@42mpg - SORN & no turbo boost...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to davek-uk for this post:
  • ron
I just went with what it said in the Haynes book of lies Big Grin
@chronyx, agree with davek-uk,I removed bulb cover with a pair of long nosed pliers,removed bulb and replaced using pliers again.
Ah! Haynes Manuals.....Go here for an explanation of how they work :
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...32#pid8532
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Now mine is a Mk1 but I presume the same because I had the same problem.

I was determined not to take the car apart to change one, you know start at the steering wheel and work back, so I tried the bit about inserting a screwdriver in the slot. I tried different sizes but all it did was rotate and just squash the rubber mount/seal. I admit maybe I needed a different size of screwdriver but I have a varied choice.

Now being a Mk1 it is old, so I tried my usual method of attacking it and hope for the best. It often works in the "clip on" age.

So with the door open, my elbows on the bottom of the door, and just below horizontal I inserted a screwdiver above the light between the light and the door. I then raised the handle of the driver so forcing the clear plastic light cover down. Click it went and fell off. I cleaned it all up and inserted a new bulb. I looked at the light cover and could see no damage. So I pressed it back and it went click and all was well. Smile

I suppose it may have been a bit rough, but with "clip on" stuff I never know what to do.

Anyway just thought I would share it with you, and I hope all goes well for future "fixers".

Norm
I tried removing mine according to the owners manual but cracked the plastic lens so ended up taking the back cover of and braking a few of the plastic clips.
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
(17-09-2012, 01:42 PM)philip Wrote:  I tried removing mine according to the owners manual but cracked the plastic lens so ended up taking the back cover of and braking a few of the plastic clips.

Sod's Law.You're buggered whichever way you try.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy