Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cigarette Lighter/Power Socket Removal Help
2010 XTR 110, I've got an intermittent problem with the Cigarette Lighter/Power Socket, the one in the IP in front of the gear change. Often find that my phone isn't actually charging and one charger I've got with a blue indicator in it goes on and off when wiggled in the socket. I'm not expecting it'll be a big job to repair or replace but I can't see how to get the socket out of the IP.
Help appreciated.

Matt
Matt
2019 Multispace BlueHDi 100 Flair Nimbus Grey Met
Are you sure its not your charger??
(02-08-2016, 10:33 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  Are you sure its not your charger??

I'm not 100% sure, problem occurs with more than one of the chargers I put in there, It'll be a lot easier to clean up and check out if I can get it out. A previous owner must have been a smoker and there is ash and crud in the socket.
Any idea how to get take it out?
Matt
No not sure,have you tried googling it,
Most sockets Ive come across are removed by gaining access to underneath and pushing out the metal inner from the coloured ring, it won't come out as one unit. Make sure the ignition is off and power disconnected before sticking your finger in!
Those in the know..... Go Berlingo!
My front one played up 18 months ago, I used a bit of sandpaper on a plastic 'stick' and wiggled it about a bit at the contact and it has been fine since.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Trevor for this post:
  • Matt Haigh
(03-08-2016, 06:51 AM)raynoon Wrote:  Most sockets Ive come across are removed by gaining access to underneath and pushing out the metal inner from the coloured ring, it won't come out as one unit. Make sure the ignition is off and power disconnected before sticking your finger in!

Just curious why you say take power off before sticking your finger in?? No danger whatsoever from 12v in a car! More chance of being hit by a bus while putting your finger in than doing damage lol

As for cigarette lighters, the plastic sleeve has two holes cut in and two lugs on the metal body drop into these holes, normally a v.tight fit, as said pushing from the back is the easiest way to remove, but it's generally a contact issue, clean this with a screwdriver (you'll blow the fuse if you forget to turn the ignition off in about five seconds but it's easy to replace lol) and then scrape away and enjoy power again! Ps I've not seen an actual cigarette lighter in a berlingo or partner yet, it's just a power socket these days, it's generally dust and crap that gets in and stops it working
(06-08-2016, 07:17 AM)dumdum Wrote:  
(03-08-2016, 06:51 AM)raynoon Wrote:  Most sockets Ive come across are removed by gaining access to underneath and pushing out the metal inner from the coloured ring, it won't come out as one unit. Make sure the ignition is off and power disconnected before sticking your finger in!

Just curious why you say take power off before sticking your finger in?? No danger whatsoever from 12v in a car! More chance of being hit by a bus while putting your finger in than doing damage lol

As for cigarette lighters, the plastic sleeve has two holes cut in and two lugs on the metal body drop into these holes, normally a v.tight fit, as said pushing from the back is the easiest way to remove, but it's generally a contact issue, clean this with a screwdriver (you'll blow the fuse if you forget to turn the ignition off in about five seconds but it's easy to replace lol) and then scrape away and enjoy power again! Ps I've not seen an actual cigarette lighter in a berlingo or partner yet, it's just a power socket these days, it's generally dust and crap that gets in and stops it working

Its not about you or putting you finger in, It is more about putting a screw driver, or any other metal object inside. It will short-circuit very easily, and burn out the fuse in a jiffy... personal experience...Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Luis Rosa for this post:
  • roman.lipicnik
(06-08-2016, 08:21 AM)Luis Rosa Wrote:  
(06-08-2016, 07:17 AM)dumdum Wrote:  

Its not about you or putting you finger in, It is more about putting a screw driver, or any other metal object inside. It will short-circuit very easily, and burn out the fuse in a jiffy... personal experience...Smile
I know that... it was a question to the guy I quoted, as some people do genuinely believe that 12v will harm them...
I'm still trying to find out how to access "behind the cigarette lighter socket", do I have to take the glove box inner out and get access from there?
Matt