Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cold Start problem has anyone had this problem
Sorry if this is a problem that has been answered many times already only I've read so many different possibilities. Its an R-reg 1.9 non turbo Diesel

When staring from cold its a pig, the glow plug light comes on for about 5 seconds and goes out but is very hard to start.

If I turn the key from on to off 3 to 4 times allowing the glow plug light to go out each time it is much better to start and only a little lumpy with a little smoke from the exhaust a white/blue colour

its quite bumpy for the 1st mile but once warm runs fine and will start 1st time for the rest of the day until left again overnight and will be hard to start again and without fail it is always like this

I've replaced the glow plugs for Denzo ones I bought from euro car parts.

Is this a timer issue? or has anyone had pretty much the exact same symptoms and how did they fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Forgot to add it has recently had a new battery and alternator as well
glow plugs should remain on for a bit after the light has gone out... some vehicles they flick on and off whilst the engines cold.. often theres a timing relay and a main relay.... aint had my berlingo long enough to find out whats there.
partially blocked fuel filter can cause problems not letting enough fuel through for a cold start.

its not unknown for glowplugs to be faulty out the box... i had similar with a megane ... bastid to start ..replaced plugs... a little better ... spent ages pulling the fuel system and vacuum advance system apart and eventually found 2 off the new plugs were either duff out the box or had failed within days.

ive now got a cheap chinese clamp on meter that clips round a lead and gives a (rough) measurement of the current.
Have a read on the site about cold start device its been covered on here in the last week or to. It may be of some help to you.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(08-12-2012, 12:24 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  Have a read on the site about cold start device its been covered on here in the last week or to. It may be of some help to you.

can you remember what subject was called? thanks for replying

(08-12-2012, 11:43 AM)ricc Wrote:  glow plugs should remain on for a bit after the light has gone out... some vehicles they flick on and off whilst the engines cold.. often theres a timing relay and a main relay.... aint had my berlingo long enough to find out whats there.
partially blocked fuel filter can cause problems not letting enough fuel through for a cold start.

its not unknown for glowplugs to be faulty out the box... i had similar with a megane ... bastid to start ..replaced plugs... a little better ... spent ages pulling the fuel system and vacuum advance system apart and eventually found 2 off the new plugs were either duff out the box or had failed within days.

ive now got a cheap chinese clamp on meter that clips round a lead and gives a (rough) measurement of the current.

I have ordered a set of bosch glow plugs just incase it was that but thanks for the advice
I would go with valve clearances every time with cold start problems on 1.9d. Mine had the same problem. Valves were tight and on cold mornings was a cow to start.
(08-12-2012, 01:48 PM)digger181166 Wrote:  I would go with valve clearances every time with cold start problems on 1.9d. Mine had the same problem. Valves were tight and on cold mornings was a cow to start.

Do you know if they are adjustable like my old 205 XS or are they shimmed?
This was my problem... exhaust valves all closed up! Starting was a pig!! Check out this link... valve clearances are easy to check but time consuming to adjust as they are shim adjusted.. good luck:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...+clearance
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Hi, have a read of this. Confusedalut:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1875
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(08-12-2012, 02:10 PM)Well fed Edd Wrote:  
(08-12-2012, 01:48 PM)digger181166 Wrote:  I would go with valve clearances every time with cold start problems on 1.9d. Mine had the same problem. Valves were tight and on cold mornings was a cow to start.

Do you know if they are adjustable like my old 205 XS or are they shimmed?

They are shimmed. Cambelt and camshaft off. My sons mate did it on the cheap Big Grin
Can I take it then that the 1.9D is prone to valve recession ? Just curious as I have one.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart