Thread Rating:
  • 20 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
Cold starting problem - 2.0 HDi
Get them to check Glow plugs, Cold start settings....but if you tell them that it's difficult to start when cold they should know what needs checking and adjusting. HTH
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(12-03-2013, 01:08 PM)petet66 Wrote:  Pause, try again and it started quite quickly but with a big puff of smoke out the back.

The big puff of smoke is the diesel pumped in before it started all burning off at once. If it's really cold and your heater plug light comes on when you turn the key to the first position wait for it to go out, switch back to off and then on to let the plug light come on again. wait for it to go out before you turn the key to start the car. Cycling the heater plugs twice helps when the car is reluctant.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • andy-womble
Any joy on this one??? I have same problem
I have the exact same problem

If its cold, it takes a bit of cranking before it fires up... with a cloud of smoke

Holding the throttle down while cranking makes it start a little quicker but i'd like to know the proper solution
have you thought of changing the starter motor - had two 2.0 hdi's recently poor starting firt thing in morning everthing fine new glow plugs, battery.

changed starter motor on both - problem sorted!
(30-03-2013, 01:35 AM)NJ1 Wrote:  Holding the throttle down while cranking makes it start a little quicker but i'd like to know the proper solution

Start procedure is no pedal till it's running. You will throw a lot of unburnt diesel onto the top of the piston and that is your cloud of smoke.
So where does this bit go then ?
I now know what the problem is and my Blingo is in full working order again.

Due to emissions requirements, the "far too clever for its own good" ECU does not deliver fuel to the injectors until the cranking speed reaches a certain value. In my case it turned out that it was the battery which had dropped enough performance in the cold to stop the critical speed being reached, new battery sorted it for me. The other common cause is a tired starter motor which triggers the same problem and Polar must have had this issue.

Citroen do a cold climate starter motor which is geared differently and spins the motor faster, a dealer tweak for cars having problems is to fit one of these apparently. Doesn't seem to be necessary if your battery and starter are up to scratch however.

I have spent a fortune and hours on this problem, I hope I can save someone else from doing the same.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Crispy for this post:
  • chronyx, Norfolkboy, ron
Hi I had the same prob with my old 2.0 HD Never got it sorted. The heater light never lit up but I did fined out the glow plugs were powered up for a minute or two after it started. This is normal but couldn't explain the lack of pre heat.
In modern engines glow plugs are not required unless its really cold.
(25-07-2014, 12:20 PM)Crispy Wrote:  I now know what the problem is and my Blingo is in full working order again.

Due to emissions requirements, the "far too clever for its own good" ECU does not deliver fuel to the injectors until the cranking speed reaches a certain value. In my case it turned out that it was the battery which had dropped enough performance in the cold to stop the critical speed being reached, new battery sorted it for me. The other common cause is a tired starter motor which triggers the same problem and Polar must have had this issue.

Citroen do a cold climate starter motor which is geared differently and spins the motor faster, a dealer tweak for cars having problems is to fit one of these apparently. Doesn't seem to be necessary if your battery and starter are up to scratch however.

I have spent a fortune and hours on this problem, I hope I can save someone else from doing the same.

I don't even own an HDi but little gems of information like this can save peoples hours and ££££ :thumbsup:
2004 1.9D Multispace/Budget crew cab work van!