Cold starting problems
Welcome to forum Vikingali.

-15 it's not so low temperature.
-25 - so-so Smile
-30 - it's cold
-45 - it's very cold Smile
-55 - it's very cold but it is still possible to live Smile

Andre. Sorry for offtop.
temprature didn't get much above -12 all day to day that is cold enough! wher do you live pk 7478?
Ali, can you see pk's Berl on the left?

[Image: tundra-climate.jpg]

We should send him some Poundland anti-freeze if he's dealing with -15 and below! Tongue
Andre. Standard coolant - Glyssantin G33 allows to use my Berl in our very cold climate.
my berlingo multispace 2.0 HDi didn't start yesterday morning. had been reliable during the freezing weather but sat unused for 2 days and then would nt start yesterday when the weather was thawing and very damp. I had this problem last winter (once) when fortunately is turned sunny and I opened the bonnet and let the sun shine on the engine for an hour - it then started OK.

I have been reading threads on this and other websites and suspect that the electrical connection to the glo plugs is damp and losing contact. battery is still strong. i have no mechanical expertise but am going to try and get the car back into my garage to dry it out and WD40 the electrics.

Any ideas?
just got back from a week away skiing and got into my belingo and started first time. I was amazed after all was frozen around us up till yesterday,PLUS hadnt got it out for 2 weeks before xmas as snowed in. So well chuffed.
Now its damp will try again in a bit , fingers crossed.
Pete
Well the real man came and got it started...seems that it was not glow plugs but probably an air blockage in the fule line.

Real man pumped the fuel line and banged the fuel tank with his fist then it started.

So top tip is get a real man...

Taynish
I eventually got ours sorted, glow plugs checked and a couple replaced with the fuel injectors cleaned out, no better. The cold start unit and cable replaced (the cable had snapped), no better. Camshaft removed and smaller shims put in for the followers, starts instantly again. Apparently the inlet valves weren't closing fully when the engine was cold leading to low compression and therefore a lack of ability to start. Not a cheap fix, but the car starts so probably worthwhile!
My winter starting regime was to turn over the engine very briefly ( 2 seconds max), then restart normally.

Worked for me ...

YB :wave:
I've got a 2.0 hdi which is becoming more sluggish to start. I have read that the glow plugs only operate at temperatures below 0 degrees and it has not been that cold or frosty but takes a good few seconds for it to start. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to change the heater plugs if I don't have to and if it's true about them not operating until the temp goes below freezing then there may be another fault.

Tomn