Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Considering changing to Berlingo
Hello,

I am a "new" old fart, to this forum, and have already found the info. it contains, very useful in helping me to decide whether or not to go for a Berlingo for my next car.

Been a Citroen owner for the many years, my first was a 1948 "Maigret" Light Fifteen....last one Xzantia 1.9 td.......present one Xzara Picasso 2 HDI,
and quite a few in between.

In my eight decades I've had six decades of driving experience, I consider that may qualify me as an "old fart"...............

I require a car that will............
a) tow a lightweight 2 berth (760 kg) caravan, with ease
b) have a electric hoist fitted in the back for lifting a wheelchair in and out. (existing in the Picasso).
c) diesel, economical, reliable, comfortable.
d) Take out or lower the rear seats in order get caravan accessories in the rear, ie Awning, sun loungers, microwave etc. and wheelchair not folded.
e) Disabled passenger (wife) to be able to get in and out with ease, seats to be as high as Pacasso seats.

Considering the 1.6 hdi 110. with the latest diesel engine (buying towards the end of 2011).

Anyone any experience or suggestions to offer...... would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Harry and welcome

I would love to hear about the Light 15 at some point, but in the meantime, I am sure that someone will be along shortly to share their experiences of towing, touring as well as your other requirements.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for your welcome message.
I bought the Light Fifteen in 1959 off a RAF pilot officer. It was my first Citroen...... Fantastic car, road holding was out of this world, gear lever came out of the dash board. Travelled down the M 5 when it first opened, and afterwards toured Scotland, I recall coming back up the M5 from Isle of Wight and the big ends went, managed to struggle home. Stripped the engine down during August bank holiday (1962), found out that the big ends were white metal linings .......got a local firm to reline and bore the big ends on the piston rods to the correct size, which cost me £1 10 shillings each (old money), I then refitted every thing, it started up first time; put the family in the car and went from Wednesbury to Barmouth for the day, on a trial run........".perfik"...... You couldn't do that yourself with one of today's cars. (I was a draughtsman at the time)
Past memories are getting a bit dim now..........but my experiences with that particular car still remain fairly clear.
If I get a Berlingo, hope its half as good as the Light fifteen.
Not sure if you have seen my post here about my grandfather's Light Fifteen
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Hi Harry,

I towed a 750kg trailer tent (nearer 1000kg loaded!) from Somerset down to the South of France using my Berlingo 2.0 HDi 110bhp a couple of years ago. It pulled it with ease - even up steep hills. You shouldn't have any problems towing that van (presuming its an Adria Action 361 or small Bailey ?). The manual advises up to 1170kg. There'd be bags of space too - plenty for the hoist, chair and luggage.

You can read some reviews of people who've done just what you're planning using a Berlingo + caravan combination here:

http://www.caravantrekker.nl/whattowcar/...e=Berlingo

Best Regards
'07 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i 16V Desire 5dr in Iron Grey
Hi matey , I tow a 2 berth lightweight caravan with ease, only real critism is on a long steep hill on motorway the 1600 diesel engine does show signs of lacking power, but only if you wanna keep to 60 mph.
I drove back from Scotland to north Wales in 5 hours at 60 on cruise control all the way, returned approx 38 to gallon with two full size sit on canoes on roof and 2 mountain bikes on back. More than pleased. I also sleep in back with seats out [see my threads] so no worries with all your gear.I have 90 hp model , a 110 would hopefully be that bit better.
Go for it.
Hi. I tow a 700kg caravan with my 110hdi no probs, I get about 38mpg towing at truckspeed, 55mph. The rear seats come out easily but theres plenty of room with them just folded tho.