Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling fan stays on for 5 mins...
Hi,
Been a while since I visited because the van has been running perfectly now for its first 3 years and I stopped fiddling with it ages ago!

So, the following may not be a "problem" as such, what do you think?

Every week or two, after a short (10 minute) journey, the engine cooling fan runs after I switch off. It stays on for around 5 minutes or more, then switches off.
There are no obvious signs of overheating and the temp needle and coolant level is normal. I've checked the radiator grill for dead badgers & stuff, to no avail.
This happens with/without aircon etc.

Because it seems intermittent, I never quite get the opportunity to get stuck in a try to see if there is a problem. I took a peek today, but realised that the fan and presumably the sensor are hidden in the engine compartment. Then it switched itself off.

Do these cars do this when healthy, or can someone point me in the direction of a component worth a bit of investigation?

Any help appreciated.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement… 

2017 Berlingo Multispace Flair 120
2013 C5 Tourer 2.2HDi Excl
Previously:
2012 C5 Tourer 1.6HDi auto
2012 Berlingo Enterprise 1.6HDi Van
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue (really!)
If the temp is up on turn off the fan will run to prevent damage.If it is intermittent I wouldn't worry too much,it may be reacting to a hot spot.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Is that not the dpf doing a regen and the fan stays on to keep things cooler to stop it getting too hot,if you switch off mid regen,or maybe not,just a thought.
It cause u shut van off during regeneration so cycle will try keep going till completed , bring for good run at 50 mph in 3rd gear for a mile it will give it a regeneration that will last
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to denisg1973 for this post:
  • ron
50 in top will be fine it just need 5 to 10 min's to do it
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(08-07-2015, 09:30 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  50 in top will be fine it just need 5 to 10 min's to do it

Sounds better. I'd rather not do 50 in third for a mile. Worried in case I might need more than a DPF regen after that. Like I say, she's been faultless for 3 years and I don't want to rock the boat too much. I do an extra mid term oil change, despite the manual and now she's fully paid for I want to keep her healthy. BTW I don't get a DPF warning light on mine. Could it still be doing it's thing, or is the warning light unrelated?

Previously:
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
regen is normal, they do it as and when they can, car has to be up to temp for 10 mins kept at constant load, if you don't let it regen you'll start clogging the DPF, my van averages 800 miles between regens according to the ecu readout, but that's because of the country roads I drive on,
63 plate Berlingo working hard.....
Will this Regen Cycle cause a bit of a burning smell? I've just parked mine on the drive and the cooling fan kicked into overdrive (Never heard it that loud before) and then was a very hot sort of burning smell coming off it?

Didn't dare leave it in case it burst into flames so stood there for 5 mins before the fan shut off.
(13-07-2015, 01:29 PM)Hughzie Wrote:  Will this Regen Cycle cause a bit of a burning smell? I've just parked mine on the drive and the cooling fan kicked into overdrive (Never heard it that loud before) and then was a very hot sort of burning smell coming off it?

Didn't dare leave it in case it burst into flames so stood there for 5 mins before the fan shut off.

I guess with it all being at the front there could be something on the Cat that's now got hot, road kill or road debris, that's burning off.
63 plate Berlingo working hard.....
Thanks to all.

I reckon the regen theory has me convinced.
Unless anything else pops up, I'll leave well alone......(for now  Wink  )

Previously:
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D