Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.09 Average
Curious holes in air intake pipe. Serious?
Just noticed two old holes in the air intake pipe, with clean plastic between them as if there used to be something there. Plus a cable running just underneath, with a broken retaining clip on it. Did the holes once just hold that cable clip? Or is something important missing?
[Image: 2wgt9mq.jpg]

I'll tape up the holes and use a cable tie for the wire, unless there's some component I should put back in the holes?
[Image: xe3i9k.jpg]

Car runs great. Just MOT'd and serviced. Mechanic confirms our feeling we found a good'un.
We've done over 1000 miles already and no oil used. Here she is in Amsterdam, big version of avatar:
[Image: 23u61xv.jpg]
Enjoying this forum - best to all!
Hi, looking at the air hose, the holes are before the air filter so it won't matter about them being there.
What does the cable go to, eg exhaust probe??Confusedcratch:
:thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
Thanks - confirms my thoughts on the holes. They may be owner drilled, as they're a bit messy, slightly oval now I look at them again.
The cable runs indeed to the middle-top of the exhaust - probe I presume; and the other end runs to a plastic plug you can just see behind and above right of my finger tip in the second photo. The wire has a sleeve protecting it, and the chafing is slight so far so no big deal, easy job to hoik it up a bit. It's rubbing on the cooling water pipe at the bottom of the picture.
My curiosity is what might have been fastened into those holes and around the plastic? Confusedcratch: indeed!
The cable should clip to the bracket behind your finger in the second picture. Have a look at the diagram below. Although the fixing clip is different (older model) this looks to be where it goes. :thumbsup:

[Image: 289ha2x.jpg]

Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • CandR
That's the one! Thanks. I'll tidy it up tomorrow.
I'll tape up the holes to see if that makes the lady even quieter than she already is. Those drillings? Every lady's got to have some secrets! :whistle:
(Now just got to work out how to mark this solved.......)
R.
(13-04-2012, 12:26 PM)CandR Wrote:  Just noticed two old holes in the air intake pipe, with clean plastic between them as if there used to be something there. Plus a cable running just underneath, with a broken retaining clip on it. Did the holes once just hold that cable clip? Or is something important missing?

Oh dear, I thought we were looking at a sad case of infestation by Berlingo-Worms at first..... Looks like somebodies half-arsed attempt at trying a modification and then backing off before the job was finished....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
(13-04-2012, 08:23 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  Oh dear, I thought we were looking at a sad case of infestation by Berlingo-Worms at first..... Looks like somebodies half-arsed attempt at trying a modification and then backing off before the job was finished....

Yes, except that there's the 2-cm wide strip around the air intake pipe, less weathered than the rest, where the holes are - so :twisted: something mysterious :eek: has sat there for a good while. Could have been a half-arsed something, of course!
The only previous owner was a careful bloke (or lass) judging by the fire extinguisher mounted in the back, and the emergency window-breaking hammer mounted on the roof lining directly above the gear stick. Full maintenance records too.
I suppose I shall just have to stay curious (elephant's child, wasn't it?). I did find a Berlingo worm, by the way, under the mat in the boot. But it was just after we'd been to the garden centre....
To add a bit of confusion, my new stead has these holes too, plus two others on the underside of the intake pipe.
Nice to know I'm not the only one... Haven't looked properly underneath yet, I'll borrow a makeup mirror tomorrow!
Congratulations on your new one.