Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
DAB splitter
Hi
had a search but cant find what im looking for so apologies if I missed something... New here.
I have 2006 1.6Hdi and want to change the factory fit VDO radio cassette to a Pioneer DAB/ CD. Does anyone have any experience of aerials for DAB ? How do the splitters perform. Im thinking my aerial is un-powered currently and the easiest solution i reckon is to split the output from the current aerial as opposed to fitting a new one. If these are useless then can someone point me in the direction of something that works well and the best way to fit.

Many thanks in anticipation as they say !
I've tried using a splitter in the past and wasn't impressed. One of the problems is that an FM aerial is too long apparently for picking up DAB signals so you get poor results. For best results you really need a separate external aerial.

I have a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52 that I've owned for about 8 years in my Berlingo. It's been in there since I bought the van 6 months ago and I finally got around to sorting a DAB aerial over the weekend. I decided to buy a Sonichi Magnetic Roof Mount DAB Aerial from Halfords for £14.99. I drove from Lancashire to Surrey and back yesterday with no drop outs on Absolute 80's or BBC Radio 2.

[Image: 9731329552_08e9b722a5.jpg]

This aerial is great as you don't have to drill any holes, and when you come to change your vehicle you can transfer the stereo and aerial to your new vehicle. I would have liked to have mounted it centrally so that it looks a bit neater but the lead isn't quite long enough to do that. The only other downside is that you obviously have a bit of cable on show externally where it runs from the aerial through the door.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post:
  • Petearn
Thanks for the speedy reply Stuart I feared as much !
Any other favourites out there for external aerials or windscreen stickers even .
Thanks again
You can lose up to 6db of signal using any sort of splitter due to what is known as *insertion loss.
If you're not going to use conventional FM/AM radio at all then you could measure a DAB antenna,
the telescopic one on my mains DAB radio in my bedroom is around 11inches, and cut your existing
aerial to around the same.

*Cue evdama!!:lol:
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • Petearn
(12-09-2013, 10:44 AM)Petearn Wrote:  Thanks for the speedy reply Stuart I feared as much !
Any other favourites out there for external aerials or windscreen stickers even .
Thanks again

Hi Petearn you might want to check out this site http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/

I have fitted a Pioneer unit into our xtr with the following parts
Kinetic DRA-6001 aerial
Kinetic DAB cable 5 metre
Kinetic FM/AM cable 2.5 metre
this is a powered aerial, the mounting is a straight swap for the original,you can pick up the power from the internal light.the reception has so far been faultless
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jon n roof for this post:
  • Petearn
im using the powered window version on my kenwood, got it from Halfords, been fantastic
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to finny for this post:
  • Petearn
Thanks Jon
I think this is the way Ill go. It seems to give the best reception and tick all the boxes.
Tempted to go for the shorter 2003 version to stop clouting low ceilings and the like .
Can you access the dash space by removing the glove box for routing cables to the back of the head unit ?
I was hoping not to have to remove headlining and such but it probably wont be as bad as I think !

Cheers and thanks to everyone who replied.
Not quite sure how to mark this as "solved"

Hi Petearn you might want to check out this site http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/

I have fitted a Pioneer unit into our xtr with the following parts
Kinetic DRA-6001 aerial
Kinetic DAB cable 5 metre
Kinetic FM/AM cable 2.5 metre
this is a powered aerial, the mounting is a straight swap for the original,you can pick up the power from the internal light.the reception has so far been faultless
[/quote]
(12-09-2013, 01:04 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  You can lose up to 6db of signal using any sort of splitter due to what is known as *insertion loss.
If you're not going to use conventional FM/AM radio at all then you could measure a DAB antenna,
the telescopic one on my mains DAB radio in my bedroom is around 11inches, and cut your existing

Hi O'J,as evdama is too shy to ask,how can you cure/eliminate insertion loss?Confusedcratch::whistle:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(16-09-2013, 08:18 PM)ron Wrote:  
(12-09-2013, 01:04 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  You can lose up to 6db of signal using any sort of splitter due to what is known as *insertion loss.

Hi O'J,as evdama is too shy to ask,how can you cure/eliminate insertion loss?Confusedcratch::whistle:

You can't if you use a splitter, it's a function of the nature of the beast. Basically you are sharing the signaL with another unit which will halve the available signal giving you a 6dB signal loss. If you had a powered one it might possibly work but I can't say that the one's I've used with TVs have made much difference.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
(12-09-2013, 01:04 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  *insertion loss.

Am I doing it wrong? I always hope for some loss after insertion