Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Battery!
Had my 2.0 2004 berlingo for just over a month now. The last week or so it has struggled to start from dead cold, I put it down to the cold weather we have had recently but had a feeling this would happen. Tonight, after not driving for 2 days, I tried starting but it gave up after about 10 revolutions of engine, tried again and all the lights started flashing and a beeping noise from somewhere, battery dead now.
The battery is a Bosch S3 70ah ccc640 and fortunately a previous owner has kindly written the installation date on it, Oct 2011 so it's over 3 years old now.
Luckily, I have an xjs which is stored away for the winter and the battery on that is good, a Bosch S4 74ah ccc680, more powerful than the berlingo one so will try that on tomorrow.
Question is, is it ok to fit a more powerful battery, will it do any damage?
If I need to buy a new one, any recommendations?
Thanks.
Yes it will be ok to fit the more powerful battery a good battery should last more than four year's it just need's a good long trickle charge to bring it back to life other thing to look at see if the alternator is putting out 14.4 volts and the starting motor may need replacing if it's seen better day's do you do lot's of short trip's if so you could put in on charge once a month to help keep it charged  Smile
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Uncle Jed has it right.I always put the largest battery possible on & always charge it monthly.My 7 year old Berlingo is still on it's original battery with no signs of dropping off.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Thanks gents. Had the berlingo battery on trickle overnight and it's fully charged up, showing 12.7 v which is promising.
Have only been town driving the last week or so, but no short 5 minute trips so battery should have been kept topped up.
Shall stick it back on this morning and do an alternator voltage check too.
As mentioned, I'm thinking starter motor could be passed it's best here too, it just hasn't felt it had that good kick to get this diesel lump going straightaway when cold. Have read the other threads about fitting the more powerful starter so maybe this will be best if problem persists.
Thanks.
Do you use the proper start procedure, press the clutch pedal down and don't go near the accelerator pedal. I made the mistake when we first got our car and it was a pain. Leave the accelerator alone and it starts with 4 or 5 turns of the motor in any conditions but if I touch the pedal it churns over for ages and sounds like it's dying before it starts. I bought the biggest battery that would fit in the tray a couple of years ago and the car can stand all week but will still start when I go out to it.
So where does this bit go then ?
(04-02-2015, 10:19 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  Do you use the proper start procedure, press the clutch pedal down and don't go near the accelerator pedal. I made the mistake when we first got our car and it  was a pain. Leave the accelerator alone and it starts with 4 or 5 turns of the motor in any conditions but if I touch the pedal it churns over for ages and sounds like it's dying before it starts. I bought the biggest battery that would fit in the tray a couple of years ago and the car can stand all week but will still start when I go out to it.

Hi. Yes, have been putting the clutch down while turning over when it's been cold, never touched the throttle pedal.
Well, fitted recharged battery and went through proper citroen battery refitting procedure and it started after 4 or 5 revolutions, starter felt more powerful, span faster than it had ever done. Checked charging system and showing 14.4v on tickover so all good. Suppose I will just have to see how it performs over next few days.
One other thing, bought a basic U480 code reader recently and decided to give it a try aswell. I have 1 fault code, p1351, which I understand is 'IDM input circuit Malfunction/Ignition coil control circuit High voltage'. Should I be concerned about this? I've cleared code and see if it returns.
I wouldn't worry about the code if it was not affecting anything, probably just something the ecu doesn't like Big Grin
So where does this bit go then ?