Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Difficulty in Starting Engine - Help Please
Sad 
I am hoping someone can help.

I bought a Berlingo 54 plate and it never started 1st time. Eventually it has got so bad that it takes 20mins to try and start the engine. We have replaced the glow plugs, alternator, and repaired the fuel pump and put a valve on the fuel line (so the fuel doesn't go back into pump?) and it's still not working :brickwall:. I am slowly losing the will to live with this van. Once it has started then it starts better but it's the first start of the morning that seems to be an issue.

Please if anybody could shed any light, it would be very much appreciated.
Hi what engine is it? Could be the cold start sensor! Does it start ok when its been run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there, it's a 1.9 diesel. Nobody has mentioned a cold start sensor what does that do exactly (woman, bit thick!)

It starts better once it's been out on a run. First thing in a morning the engine turns over, and over, and over to the point that the battery runs down using all it's energy trying to start the engine. When it's been out then it starts better, sometimes first time.

It becoming a frustrating and costly, unsure if I should cut my losses or try mending it? :/
im wondering if the glow plug relay is dodgy..
Would they not have checked the glow plug relay when they replaced the glow plugs? Is it easy to check, could I do it? Save me a bit of cash
This is likely to be either poor compression or valve clearances need adjusting. If the milage of the vehicle is high (80000+)
A compression test/ leakdown test will determine the cause, but it will cost more money i'm afraid!

To check glow plug relay, which is located by the nearside headlight in the engine bay, (is a little black box). You will need a multimeter or test lamp to determine whether voltage, 11v at least, is a: reaching the glowplugs and b: cutting in and out when the key is turned to the second position.

You can also hear the relay clicking off and on when the key is turned and after the post heat phase.

Good luck!
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Thank you for your reply adam do you know how much the valve clearance/compression would be, approx? I'm unsure if it's worth doing all this work, but when I've spent so much already I'm a little reluctant for it to get the better of me, but on the other hand I need to see a result. Each garage said it was this, that and the other and nothing has worked. I have replaced the battery also, forgot to mention that last time.

Will have a look at the relay

Thank for suggestions though any advise offered is greatly appreciated.
We've now noticed an Eco Mode coming up on the car, what's that all about! I can hear the relay clicking on and off and it started every time first time 3 times, but tomorrow morning will be another thing :brickwall:
(05-03-2012, 07:27 PM)RSteel Wrote:  Thank you for your reply adam do you know how much the valve clearance/compression would be, approx? I'm unsure if it's worth doing all this work, but when I've spent so much already I'm a little reluctant for it to get the better of me, but on the other hand I need to see a result. Each garage said it was this, that and the other and nothing has worked. I have replaced the battery also, forgot to mention that last time.

Will have a look at the relay

Thank for suggestions though any advise offered is greatly appreciated.
We've now noticed an Eco Mode coming up on the car, what's that all about! I can hear the relay clicking on and off and it started every time first time 3 times, but tomorrow morning will be another thing :brickwall:

Hi again.

ECO MOD..... This a Citroen thing to stop you draining the battery. Disables power to all non essential components. Is a normal operation.

Compression pressures: (Engine hot at cranking speed)
Normal: 25-30 bar - 363-435 psi
Maximum difference between cylinders 5 bar - 73 psi

Valve clearances: (Engine Cold)
Inlet: 0.15mm +/- 0.07mm
Exhaust: 0.30 +/- 0.07mm

Happy hunting....

How many miles has the van done??

Also ensure the fuel system is primed using the black button primer under the engine cover, obvious? may have been missed Smile

Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Phew thank goodness that's normal. It's only done 95k ish.

The priming pump wasn't getting hard, hence why we had the fuel pump checked and it needed repairing (apparently.)

Thank you for giving me the clearances and the pressures however I would be getting it done by a garage so I was looking at how much £ I would be looking at to get them sorted. Smile
hi try cold start,you spray a little into the air intake and away you go,its not a fix i know and its not good to keep using it.but i would think if it works then the problem is with cold start system somewhere,glowplug,wiring,relay etc.