Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dip Stick
Question 
Hi, I've just picked up my one old lady owner pristine 1.6 diesel Multispace forte 2006 and am very happy to be a Berlingo owner and to join this forum which is clear is full of helpful fellow owners. As well as posting my first hello, I wondered if I might ask my first stupid question. The car was serviced in March, but when I check the yellow plastic dip stick with a tear drop end there is no oil on it at all. The stick, for what it is has no low or high oil marks as a guide and I wondered if someone could help me with how far up that pathetic little plastic stick an oil level should be? I've since put half a ltd off 5w30 in and am now seeing oil in the tear drop. Surely there must be oil in there if it's been serviced. There's no leaks etc? Any thoughts for this newbie would be most appreciated. Thanks Pete
Hi and welcome to the forum, may be an idea if you can measure the length of your dipstick so someone on here with the same engine can check this for you, to make sure your not a bit missing off the end.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Trevor for this post:
  • Growler73, PeteK
(08-10-2016, 02:08 PM)Trevor Wrote:  Hi and welcome to the forum, may be an idea if you can measure the length of your dipstick so someone on here with the same engine can check this for you, to make sure your not a bit missing off the end.

Hi Trevor, the dipstick measures 20 inches to the bottom of the seating cap. It appears to be a complete stick, I understand some have snapped off, my teardrop end is intact, but there are no min or max indicators on it. Thanks anyway for responding, Pete
Hi Pete, I've had the bottom inch of a dipstick snap off in the engine on my previous B9 Berlingo. It must be a common event for this model, as my local Citroen dealer parts department had 10 spare dipsticks in stock!. I can't remember the price for a new stick, but it was negligible. I drove my van many thousands of miles with the broken off end piece in the sump, with no ill effects.
Thumbs Up 
(08-10-2016, 08:45 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  Hi Pete, I've had the bottom inch of a dipstick snap off in the engine on my previous B9 Berlingo. It must be a common event for this model, as my local Citroen dealer parts department had 10 spare dipsticks in stock!. I can't remember the price for a new stick, but it was negligible. I drove my van many thousands of miles with the broken off end piece in the sump, with no ill effects.

Thanks Jim, I'll head to my local garage and see if I can compare mine against a new one. As they are prone to snapping a new one sounds like a good idea anyway.
(08-10-2016, 10:45 AM)PeteK Wrote:  Hi, I've just picked up my one old lady owner pristine 1.6 diesel Multispace forte 2006 and am very happy to be a Berlingo owner and to join this forum which is clear is full of helpful fellow owners. As well as posting my first hello, I wondered if I might ask my first stupid question. The car was serviced in March, but when I check the yellow plastic dip stick with a tear drop end there is no oil on it at all. The stick, for what it is has no low or high oil marks as a guide and I wondered if someone could help me with how far up that pathetic little plastic stick an oil level should be? I've since put half a ltd off 5w30 in and am now seeing oil in the tear drop. Surely there must be oil in there if it's been serviced. There's no leaks etc? Any thoughts for this newbie would be most appreciated. Thanks Pete

it would not hurt to replace the dipstick, as said they do snap off, however i would get an oil change done asap so you know the right amount of oil is in there. The 1.6hdi,s can burn a bit of oil 1/2L - 1L every 3k is not unusual.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • PeteK
One old lady owner, also known as "never had oil water or tyres checked between services" Big Grin Dipsticks are about £10 on eBay so not too bad.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • knownowt
That's handy to know about the dipstick.
(09-10-2016, 08:46 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  One old lady owner, also known as "never had oil water or tyres checked between services" Big Grin Dipsticks are about £10 on eBay so not too bad.

One lady owner.run for the hills.lol
Thanks Guys, have determined the dip stick has lost the last inch off the end and is happily sloshing around in the sump. Thanks, will now get a new one and close this post. :-)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PeteK for this post:
  • brodfather11