Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Dire poor fuel consumption
Well I did 518 miles this week and used 52.14 litres of diesel at an adv speed off 44 mph and the trip computer is saying 46.3 mpg whereas brim to brim figures are 45.12 mpg.

Anybody else think this is crap as I have really made the effort to stick to between 60 and 70 mph and not ragged it or driven it like I have stolen it.

My old 1.9 Jtd fiat stilo Mw would do more than this at the same speeds and more in fact would adv at least 52 mpg.

Lets have some real facts and figures please because I'm feeling pretty darn fed up with my Berlingo at the mo.

One is Not Impressed!!!
Hi Mup,You can't really compare a Stilo with Berlingo.The Berlingo has a larger,less aerodynamic frontal area(brick springs to mind).The Stilo is probably a lot lighter.
What model/engine have you?
Are the fuel & air filters clean?
I think 45mpg is not too bad,my 1.6 HDi averages 50+ but I drive very economically,using hills to slow down & accelerate & anticipate well ahead.I still average 60mph on motorways & 40+ on A roads.
My brake pads are less than 1/2 worn at 32,000 miles.

it's down to the right foot at the end of the day.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Well sorry but i think i can, 1.9Jtd 115 bhp stilo estate would weigh almost the same as this pile of junk with it's poxy 90 bhp if they are all there.
1.6 hdi which is ment to be a good fuel efficient engine. And yes I do drive slowly and don't brake much and read the road as far in front as i can blah blah blah but still 45.12 mpg I think is not good and to put it in to some kind of perspective my 57 plate Vw T5 1.9 Tdi 104 Bhp would adv just about 38 mpg at a steady 60-70 Mph and thats a darn sight more brick like than this pile of junk!!!!
As ron says , which model are we talking about ? My 1.9 D returns 44 mpg from a mixture of driving styles :whistle: I have developed a lead right foot since me de-cat :thumbsup: Bear in mind my engine is 155000 miles old sir , hope this info is of assistance Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nil by mouth for this post:
  • chronyx
(06-10-2012, 09:17 PM)Muppet1 Wrote:  Well sorry but i think i can, 1.9Jtd 115 bhp stilo estate would weigh almost the same as this pile of junk with it's poxy 90 bhp if they are all there.
1.6 hdi which is ment to be a good fuel efficient engine. And yes I do drive slowly and don't brake much and read the road as far in front as i can blah blah blah but still 45.12 mpg I think is not good and to put it in to some kind of perspective my 57 plate Vw T5 1.9 Tdi 104 Bhp would adv just about 38 mpg at a steady 60-70 Mph and thats a darn sight more brick like than this pile of junk!!!!

You didn't answer the question on filters.
If you bought it 2nd hand it may be a lemon.
I personally am VERY happy with my 90bhp"pile of junk".
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to ron for this post:
  • evdama, j90xxx
I wouldn't call 46mpg "Dire Poor Fuel Consumption", far from it.
My pile of 2.0Hdi junk is currently averaging around 50mpg, and that's with me being a LOT more sympathetic than I usually am, and I'm very happy with that figure.
Working out true mpg figures can be hit & miss, a lot depends on how you actually calculate them, I use a website called Fuelly.com.

If better mpg is your prime concern then you may do well to trade in your current pile of junk for something a little less thirsty, although to be honest there are a lot of good things to be said about the Berlingo other than fuel cunsumption.

Just to add, a quick search suggests your car being quoted at 49.6mpg in official figures, so you're not far off the mark at 46mpg. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Must agree, too.
I get 51-52mpg on a (mainly) motorway run, and 55-56mpg if my brain and right foot are in economy mode.
Never really checked the mpg around town and travelling to work, but if it was doing 45 mpg I would be very happy.
If you are not happy with your 'pile of junk' then buy a VW Bluemotion or a Nissan Leaf, or a bicycle.
(07-10-2012, 09:46 AM)j90xxx Wrote:  Must agree, too.
I get 51-52mpg on a (mainly) motorway run, and 55-56mpg if my brain and right foot are in economy mode.
Never really checked the mpg around town and travelling to work, but if it was doing 45 mpg I would be very happy.
If you are not happy with your 'pile of junk' then buy a VW Bluemotion or a Nissan Leaf, or a bicycle.

So how do you achieve the 51-52 mpg then.??

It was fully serviced before I got the car and perhaps I should get rid of it and get something else but I do like it. Its comfy and a nice car to trundle about in.

Just I was expecting at least a easy 50mpg that's all. Perhaps another T5 is in order......??.
Can get 650 miles from a tankful on a Scotland run at 65-70mph.
Granted it is pretty much all motorway and dual cabbageway.
That equates (roughly) to 54mpg.
I find that is a good motorway speed; faster than the trucks and slower than the reps.
Start doing 75mph and the MPG drops alot.
But...
Check out Tomcat3's post on this subject.
He is getting 726 miles and 61mpg out of Mk2 1.6HDi.
Northman gets the same, so it's not a fluke.
And my 650 miles was not empty, so should have done 700.
Realise yours is (was) 90bhp against my 75, but can't see that making difference. Confusedcratch:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to j90xxx for this post:
  • Muppet1
See this is what I mean, Some of you are getting really good fuel figures and reading about berlingo's before i bought mine I really thought 50 mpg was easy to do.
I do just over 40 miles each way for work at the moment, 6-7 miles lanes, then motorway/ dual carriageway and then a mile or so at the other end.
I don't go over 70 mph anywhere and try to sit at 60 mph but as you can see it doesn't seem to make any difference to fuel use.

I have checked the tyre pressures and they are what they should be, Tracking has been done. The trip comp hasn't moved from 46.3 mpg reading all week. I realise that some of you think 46.3 is OK but i was expecting a whole lot more and wanting a 50 mpg adv.