Thread Rating:
  • 27 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EGR Valve Problem
Hi , Got a problem with EGR valve (recent diagnostic check) are they easy to clean ? also knowing the location would help. I have a 03 1.9D Forte Berl. Any help would be most appreciated as I am told the valve is very costly, Thanks, Pitman.
Multispace 1.9D Mystery Machine.
Hi Pitman and welcome to the forum. I can't help directly with your question but it has been discussed before, so a search should help. Failing that, I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Cheers Chris , I will try a search.
Found the valve bolted to the battery holder, going to give it a good clean with some carb cleaner. There is also a charcoal thingy attached to it will give that a clean as well. It may do the trick and eliminate the pesky engine light.
Not positive, but are you sure this is the actual EGR valve and not just the solenoid for it? Has it got rubber hoses app. 8mm dia. coming from it, one dissapearing to the rear of the engine.
If so then you have found the solenoid, the EGR will be near or bolted to, the inlet manifold. Not sure where on the 1.9. On the 2.0HDI it is around the back of the engine. Worth checking first before you go in too deep.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • Pitman
Cheers Andy you might be right, I will have another look..!!
Hey up again, another wrinkle I have learnt, check the wiring connector to the EGR solenoid, remove it, check for corrosion, wriggle it about. Engine management light will not go out straight away after fault is cleared.
You will need the engine warmed up and after 4-6 full stop/starts with the ign.key the fault should clear.

If the EGR valve is sticking and is a bitch to get at you can buy EGR cleaner for diesels but need to remove some ducting and spray directly into the inlet manifold downstream from the Air Mass Flow Sensor, do not allow the spray to pass over this unit as it is rather sensitive and it will knacker it.

Usual caveat applies, take care with what you are doing, if not sure then don't do it.
  • Pitman
Thanks Andy You are a star I will give it ago . let you know what happens.
PS you were right about the valve its a sod to get at.
Is the inlet manifold under the engine cover the one with the flexible black pipe??
Follow the pipe from the air filter (usually 2-3 inch diameter) and that will lead to the inlet manifold. Somewhere down that pipe there will probably be the previously mentioned Air Mass Flow Sensor which normally has to come off (two jubilee clips) to get the airfilter out, this chunk is quite delicate so dont damage or drop it and no prodding inside. This needs to be removed before squirting the EGR cleaner, I've never used it yet as my motor is still under a 12mth used vehicle warranty but I am told it is pretty nasty stuff so watch where and when you are squirting it if you go down that route. Don't know how succesful it is or if it can damage anything either so do it at your own peril !!!!
  • Pitman
Andy - I heed your warning, I will try the solenoid solution first. I have seen that spray stuff on Ebay and must admit looks like a last resort. Many thanks for your help on this.