Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.29 Average
EGR valve fixed?
Hey Folks!

Got myself a gorgous white berlingo last weekend after my chevy lacetti packed in. I love everything about it!

Anyway, the engine management light was on and the seller told me he'd fix that but I asked if the car would still go ok till this weekend as I was in desperate need for it for work (I'm a dog walker and no car means no work).

All last week the car just felt so underpowered to the point that things like overtaking were a serious danger and quite often it would judder/kangaroo while driving.

So took it in today and he cleans it good! It now drives amazing, so much more power, so much more responsive and the juddering has stopped. But the engine management light is still on and the code reader is still showing fault with egr valve even though it seems to be sorted.

Will this light go out on it's own in time or does it mean there is a fault still with it?

Jamie

[Image: 602167_593254314027182_1614744867_n.jpg]
if its still reading a fault then it wont go out until you get it reset or the fault is sorted.

I doubt the egr alone would cause the drivability problems you were having?

did you get a warranty when you bought it or was it a private sale?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • mugatea
Thanks for replying. It was a private sale with no warranty but the guy knows a thing or two about cars, lives close and I think he's quite honest.

So the likely hood is that the egr while running better is still at fault?
Get a code reader on it and check the codes. It may simply be the case that the fault code for the EGR needs to be cleared to put the light out, or there may be other issues.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post:
  • mugatea
If I was to buy a new/second hand EGR valve would I just buy any old berglingo 1.9 EGR valve or do I need an exact item?
So, the after cleaning the EGR which made big improvement it's went back to being underpowered and occasionally choppy. I've read up on this forum about blanking off the EGR from the manifold and have ordered a blanking kit from Ebay.

So, can I just get confirmation from those that have done it (I've got 2004 1.9 diesel). When I get plate, I block the EGR from manifold and that's it, yeah? I don't have to disconect EGR or do anything else?

Also, can someone confirm if doing this will occasionally send the car into limp mode or not?
you do not disconnect the egr valve just fit the blanking plate.

it should not put the vehicle into limp mode.
  • mugatea
My EGR is blanked simply by disconnecting the vacuum pipe, left the electrical connection of course.
Sealed up the two vacuum ports which had connected at both ends of the pipe with a bit of heat shrink tubing.

When I had the manifold off I saw that the flap was open, and others confirmed for me here that means only clean air getting inside. So afaik it's done, I don't need no blanking plate. Also a 1.9d, 2004.

One other thread is here:
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...1#pid57281

And - you've got the nice all-white trim on your Berlingo - looks great!
[Image: 177657.png]   2004 1.9D DW8 WJY with black spray paint on wheels instead of flimsy plastic wheel covers.
(04-05-2013, 08:43 AM)polar Wrote:  you do not disconnect the egr valve just fit the blanking plate.

it should not put the vehicle into limp mode.

By "disconnect," did he mean the vacuum hose or something else?

Hello, old thread... Come in, old thread... Is this thing on?

Sent from i myPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 177657.png]   2004 1.9D DW8 WJY with black spray paint on wheels instead of flimsy plastic wheel covers.
Hi teddyc1

Yes i did mean the vacuum hose. It can be done this was but if the egr valve is stuck it can still cause problems. On the 1.9 its better to fit the blanking plate to make sure.
  • teddyc1