Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 1.88 Average
[Engine] Anybody blanked their EGR?
I’m tempted but would love to hear from anybody who has and how it has affected their vehicle.

This sort of job:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-BLANKING-P...35c8d5ed20
Confusedtudy: MK2 1.6HDi 75 short van '600' M59
'07, 80k
DV6B Engine
BE4-5L manual gearbox
yes me too on this one?
We have blanked off plenty, especially in conjunction with DPF removal, the thing is we also map the ECU, so that it does not need it any longer. You could still encounter problems with the engine light if the valve fails.
As for a real world answer it will stop no end of rubbish entering your engine, personally if I had a brand new 1.6 hdi I would blank it off and remove the DPF on day 1.
Here is a pic of your average EGR pipe, it does a fair job of blocking itself off, just imagine the inside of the inlet tracts

[Image: f9302cdef98ef857d5f75cce6d6f59e3_zpsaba7f69b.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • addo, Ol'Jeffers, Tenere
I blanked mine last October.
Acceleration seems better, don't have to change down as often when towing and averaging 47mpg (63% city driving).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Blanking-P...1e6d51c263
blanked mine on the 1.6 hdi engine as part of the program to stop self destruction of the engine. Works well -- no issues with the engine management system.
Ours is a 55 plate 1.6HDi 9HXC engine. No DPF and the BSI software that blocks the aftermarket Cruise Control.Rolleyes
Bought an EGR blanking plate when we first got the motor last October but threads on here said - 1.6HDi = engine management lights! so did not fit it.
Lately been trying to track down a flutter - an intermittent slight irregularity in the running 20-40 mph just like an injector misfire.
After Lighty's comments above I went an fitted the plate - flutters gone, better acceleration and smoother power delivery. Done a 50 mile round trip, motorway speeds, a 20 minute traffic jam, some town stop start and no lights yet! Looking good so far.:wave:
Ours has the electric EGR valve behind the fuel filter.
Removed the turbo to MAF pipe, the air box inlet pipe, unpluged the MAF and removed the airbox complete.
Unclipped the fuel filter, unplugged the two electrical connections and placed fuel filter with fuel lines attached over by brake servo.
Slackened the two bolts securing EGR valve and eased valve away from head enough to insert plate.Confusedcratch:
Then removed three bolts securing the fuel filter mounting casting (blanking plate won't go in with it in place!).
Inserted plate next to head and retightened EGR valve. Refitted fuel filter bracket and filter. Refitted air box and pipes - all done in around 3/4 hour including working out time.
I'll post back if I get any management light problems but it's looking fine so far>Smile
Mine has done 9 months and 10,000 miles blanked.
No light from day one and still pulls well for a little diesel. :thumbsup:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to j90xxx for this post:
  • 60 north
Shocked 
Just blanked mine today and although there is no MIL lamp there are P0401 faults being logged in the ECU (Exhaust recirculation "A" flow insufficient).
I could not say anything about how the performance has changed as I am currently chasing a boost pressure problem.

Anyone have a solution to the fault or is it ok to ignore it without eventually getting the MIL lamp. Also with the new MOT, would this logged fault constitute a fail? Confusedcratch:

I was also wondering if blanking has any negative aspects, such as more work for the catalyst perhaps
'07, 80k
DV6B Engine
BE4-5L manual gearbox
Done a few more trips now and still no EML light.
Checked the ECU's with Lexia3 today and no faults recorded.
Definitely no P0401 faults on mine.
A while ago I thought I had a boost pressure problem I was getting occasional P0402 - temp fault Air meas lower than setting @2.5k rpm, I was contemplating a new MAP sensor. I checked the injector bolts (slightly loose) and tightened them down, not seen a P0402 since I did them.
I used the same blanking plate as you and j90xxx.
Checking live parameters the EGR valve opening and it's tracking settings are still following the demands set by the ECU even tho' the airway is blocked - seems the ECU is happy that the system is operating normally. If the EGR fails (mechanically) then I would expect logged faults as normal.
The reason for the EGR is to reduce NO4 (Nitrous Oxide) emissions, I don't think the cat does anything to process the NO4 (happy to be informed otherwise tho').
Engine has done 105,000 miles and Instrument ECU is reporting Avg 5.7ltr/100Km (49.5mls/gall) Smoothed 4ltr/100km (62.1mls/gall - I wish!) both via Lexia3.
Hope this helps?
(03-08-2013, 05:18 PM)BlingoBlue Wrote:  Done a few more trips now and still no EML light.
Checked the ECU's with Lexia3 today and no faults recorded.
Definitely no P0401 faults on mine.
A while ago I thought I had a boost pressure problem I was getting occasional P0402 - temp fault Air meas lower than setting @2.5k rpm, I was contemplating a new MAP sensor. I checked the injector bolts (slightly loose) and tightened them down, not seen a P0402 since I did them.
I used the same blanking plate as you and j90xxx.
Checking live parameters the EGR valve opening and it's tracking settings are still following the demands set by the ECU even tho' the airway is blocked - seems the ECU is happy that the system is operating normally. If the EGR fails (mechanically) then I would expect logged faults as normal.
The reason for the EGR is to reduce NO4 (Nitrous Oxide) emissions, I don't think the cat does anything to process the NO4 (happy to be informed otherwise tho').
Engine has done 105,000 miles and Instrument ECU is reporting Avg 5.7ltr/100Km (49.5mls/gall) Smoothed 4ltr/100km (62.1mls/gall - I wish!) both via Lexia3.
Hope this helps?

:thumbsup: Thanks B/Blue, I will recheck my work in case I missed a reconnection or disturbed one. My van seems to be running ok now after a surging problem, though I'm still not sure the boost pressure is what it should be. When graphed it seems to vary very little and my MPG still seems down. I set myself a list of to do's and thus far I checked that my oil was clean, removed the turbo feed banjo gauze (though spotless), tightened my injectors and blanked the EGR valve. Next was to check wastegate function and the manifold pressure sensor after a spot of reading up!Confusedtudy:

I just have a cheapo ELM bluetooth OBD2 reader and a smartphone app, which seems to do enough with the ECU thus far to be useful, Handy to have the phone on the dash displaying real time data too.

62.1 mpg! - :drool: I double wish!!
'07, 80k
DV6B Engine
BE4-5L manual gearbox