Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Engine] Camshaft pulley sheered off
I thought it was the fan belt squeaking as I left Birmingham on my way home this afternoon. But no, just as I got to my exit on the M5 the was a graunchy bang and the engine stopped. When the AA picked me up and dropped the car off at the garage (it was in for its MOT on Monday and I'd warned them about the fan belt) they had a look under the bonnet and the camshaft pulley had sheered off and come though the plastic casing.

So the question is now
a)why? The cambelt was replaced by this garage 11 months ago and they did overtighten something which they then loosened off when I complained about a whirring noise.
b) how much damage is it likely to have done?
c)dependent on the answer to b) I wonder how much it will cost?
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
Hi Mal.Sorry to be a prophet of doom but the min damage will be bent broken valves & possibly head damaged.Camshaft has been known to break its bearing caps off & possibly pistons damaged.
I hope I'm wrong but I've seen a few of these from either cambelt or camshaft breaking.I wish you the best of luck but expect the worst.Sad
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I did turn the engine over and it just spun with no resistance. No compression. Doesn't look good.
Any idea why they sheer? Could it be the garage's fault? Not that I particularly want to blame anyone but it is going to cost lots.
Malc

Stupid computer!
I haven't come across a pulley shearing.I've seen them come adrift from the shaft & I have seen broken shafts,all with the same results.Confusedcratch:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Sorry Malc for your bad luck hope it's not to costly
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • crickleymal
(28-02-2014, 10:05 PM)ron Wrote:  I haven't come across a pulley shearing.I've seen them come adrift from the shaft & I have seen broken shafts,all with the same results.Confusedcratch:

The pulley was floating around and whatever went into the middle had sheered through.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Most likely is that the pulley will have failed, completely unreasonable to blame the garage, just yourself for continuing with a noisey fan belt.
Let this be a lesson to all PSA engined diesel cars etc, that noises in this are MUST NOT BE IGNORED even for 2 miles.
On the DW8 engine, the camshaft will have snapped, will need head off & camshaft replacement at worst Iam afraid.
I'm not necessarily blaming the garage as I said earlier. They did change the belt about 11 months ago and definitely over tightened one of the belts. Which one I can't say. It made a whirring noise but they corrected that when I took it back.
Malc

Stupid computer!