Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Engine] Deisel or Petrol ?
I,m going to replace my trusty mk 2 berlingo (2002 1.6 petrol) soon but don,t know which engine to go for . Nowadays my mileage is low with mostly shortish journeys , I,m worried that if I choose the deisel option there might be problems with the deisel particulate filter . I would stick with the petrol engine but Citroen have decided only to provide it in the VT spec . What have you guys found in your experience with the mk3 ? Thanks .
I've got the 1.6 HDi 110 and am averaging 48 mpg on mostly city and country lane driving. I burn Shell V-Power diesel and am not worried about the filter. Also change oil regularly. Should be no problem.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 3rensho for this post:
  • robertanthony56
If I am correct the xtr 110 needs its filter changed regularly, however the vtr 90 doesnt. It has been suggested that the vtr 90 is better for short journeys and around town use because of this. All I can say is my vtr 90 diesel has no filter problems and I do a lot od short drives and up and down a big hill[1000ft].
hope that helps.
Pete
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
Many thanks , that,s interesting as I live in a similar area .
On the diesel engines it's only the 110 that has the particulate filter fitted,the 90 doesn't have it.
That's why I went for the 90HDi instead of the 110,as we only do short journeys 90% of the time and doing that sort of mileage on local and town roads would clog the filter up.

An engine with a particulate filter needs to get hot,to burn off the soot that gets trapped in the filter.
My brother had a C4 with a particulate filter where the dash warning light stayed on,the dealer told him that a new filter is in the region of £700.
I believe the filter also needs re-charging every now and then too.

I think with the price of diesel now as much,if not more,than petrol then it's swings and roundabouts,though you generally get more mpg with a diesel.
2010 XTR in black with bells and whistles

[Image: 5A50i.jpg]
A friend just bought a Pug 206 with the same engine. But it'd only been doing short trips. Spent a while going back & forth to the dealer because it was overheating trying to burn off the soot in the filter. Lots of other problems too, so its gone back to the dealer for good.

The handbook talks about having a longer trip (30-odd miles) at normal operating temperatures every so often, even for the 90. I think it suggested every few thousand miles. We have a fair mix, so should never be an issue for us. I'd be surprised if you NEVER had a good blast within that kind of distance.
The Bus II: 2019 XL Flair 1.2
(07-02-2012, 10:25 AM)XTR Wrote:  On the diesel engines it's only the 110 that has the particulate filter fitted,the 90 doesn't have it.
That's why I went for the 90HDi instead of the 110,as we only do short journeys 90% of the time and doing that sort of mileage on local and town roads would clog the filter up.

An engine with a particulate filter needs to get hot,to burn off the soot that gets trapped in the filter.
My brother had a C4 with a particulate filter where the dash warning light stayed on,the dealer told him that a new filter is in the region of £700.
I believe the filter also needs re-charging every now and then too.
Thanks I,ll look into the 90HDi .
I think with the price of diesel now as much,if not more,than petrol then it's swings and roundabouts,though you generally get more mpg with a diesel.

yes mine gets a good blast every few hundred miles or so, 90 on a55, for 20 mins or so. So no worries,
Pete
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
Mine get's a burn out every once in a while and no problems yet. There is an additive container that injects something for the particle filter and I think it needs to get refilled after either 80K or 100K km.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

(07-02-2012, 01:30 PM)3rensho Wrote:  Mine get's a burn out every once in a while and no problems yet. There is an additive container that injects something for the particle filter and I think it needs to get refilled after either 80K or 100K km.

Would it be wise to do away wi this filter after the g`tee is through? Seems like more trouble than it`s worth . . Hell, I don`t filter me nose . .