Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Fuel problems when the tank runs low
Question 
I kinda have an idea what this anyway, but thought I'd ask in case I'm wrong.
I have a 1.9 non turbo (trying to work out what engine code it is), it runs fine when there's between 1/4 and a full tank, but once it gets lower than 1/4 it coughs and splutters every now and then like it's running out of fuel. If I keep going, the lower the fuel gets the worse it becomes. I got to the top of the red marker and the engine cut out and wouldn't restart.
I put a big can of diesel in and eventually it ran, but stopped again.. in the end I got it to keep going and it's fine providing i keep to more than 1/4 of a tank.

I'm suspecting the pickup pump? What do you think? Is this a known problem?
Fire bad, tree pretty
Keep it over a 1/4 tank then..may be sender unit reading wrong???
oook then.. thanks for that (not)
Any sensible ideas?
Fire bad, tree pretty
When my wife mis-fuelled my 1.9d I syphoned out most of the mixed fuel ( 40 ltrs ) and made a determined effort to get right to the last dregs as the closer I got to the bottom of the tank the combination of diesel / petrol, water, sludge and grit was somewhat alarming. In the end I got around 10 ltrs of the stuff out.

You may find that you have an accumulation of a similar cocktail in the bottom of your tank ? In any event a new fuel filter would probably be beneficial for your fuel system.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • Kez
Geoff
Reading the haynes manual a bit more, there doesn't appear to be a pickup pump on these, so thats my theory gone lol. Yours makes sense as I had previously used a can of diesel from a scrap car (no idea how long it had been in there or what else could have gotten into it), so maybe a drained tank and new filter would fix the problem
Fire bad, tree pretty
If you can DIY then it makes sense to eliminate the " free " jobs before going further and at least you then have a sound basis for further works should they be needed, fingers crossed you won't of course !
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Clam down calm down this is a friendly forum no cat fight's please we are here to help each other the mod's will make you stand in the corner facing the wall with a hat on Rolleyes .Has you stated the best thing to do is drain the tank when you get down to 1/4 of a tank you could be pulling muck through the fuel pipe and go from there.
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

A genuine question, why would running a tank down suck in rubbish?
Surely the pick up is at the bottom anyway so any muck or water would be sucked up at any time not just when on empty. My guess would be that it is running out of fuel and the guage is inaccurate as already suggested..
(15-02-2016, 04:45 PM)Solent Wrote:  A genuine question, why would running a tank down suck in rubbish?
Surely the pick up is at the bottom anyway so any muck or water would be sucked up at any time not just when on empty. My guess would be that it is running out of fuel and the guage is inaccurate as already suggested..

Easy.. the can of fuel I put in may have been old. Old diesel doesn't mix with new - it will seperate and stay 'on top'. So when the tank is filled, the pickup will be getting fresh fuel, but when it gets lower it will be picking up the old fuel again. This will happen until the old fuel is either all burned or drained.

I'm aware you take issue with my rubbishing of Johny's reply. Simply telling someone 'not to do' whatever brings out the symptom is unhelpful. Remember the golden rule - cure the fault not the symptom Wink Now I'd appreciate it if you correct my rating again
Fire bad, tree pretty