Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fuel pump priming HELP!!!
Really hoping someone can help with this as I need my van for work!!! Since buying it (its a 99 1.9d by the way) its always been a bit reluctant to start firts thing in themorning but once its started it will start fine all day. Came to it this morning and it wouldnt start at all!:brickwall: Looked at the diesel filter which looked old and knackered so replaced that but still no start!:brickwall: If i pour diesel down the pipe from the top of the diesel filter housing that connects to the pump it wil almost start until the pipe empties of fuel then back to just turning over!:brickwall: Ive heard you can manually prime the pump or something but am at a loss as to how i do this! Someone PLEASE help!!Or can anyone shed any light on the problem please???:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Have you checked the glow plugs?Above 100,000m you may have tight valve clearances which lower the compression which is essential for good starting.Good luck & let us know how you get on.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • 7tradey1
(08-02-2014, 10:12 PM)ron Wrote:  Have you checked the glow plugs?Above 100,000m you may have tight valve clearances which lower the compression which is essential for good starting.Good luck & let us know how you get on.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Ron. Its done 162000 miles so going to get some new glow plugs but regarding the valve clearances are they easy enough to do and am I correct in thinking that I can just reset them to factory measurement? Dont know if this helps but I towed it with my friends van today and it started with a tow within about 30 yards. I let it warm up then shut it off and it continued to start fine on the key but now ive let it cool it wont start again!:brickwall::brickwall: Does it sound like valve clearances mate? Any help you could give would be greatfully recieved:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yes.The compression is probably too low on cranking to combust the fuel.If you have a good understanding of engines,it's not too difficult.Before removing I advise changing cam belt & water pump etc.Measure the clearances before removing the camshaft.Keep everything in order.Confusedalut:Confusedalut:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy