Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Intermiitent misfire with accompanying smoke
My 2005 1.9 diesel Berlingo van has me baffled. It has a misfire that develops over time where it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders when under load. If I ease off the pedal then it runs much better but still not perfect, and as soon as I try to accelerate again the misfire returns. When it is misfiring it is also putting out quite a lot of smoke through the exhaust, presumably caused by unburnt diesel, and has a very distintive diesel knock.

I've changed the MAF sensor which made no difference. I then concluded I might have a faulty injector so I tried to remove one to find out what type I needed but was unable to figure out how to remove it in the limited time I had, so I put the air box back on with a view to trying again when I had more time. When I next drove the van it ran faultlessly and it continued to do so for a few weeks, but eventually the misfire slowly returned.

I removed the cover and noticed a split rubber pipe which appered to be something to with the MAF. As it was only the end that had split I simply cut about 15mm off the pip and re-attached it. When I took the van out it ran brilliantly again for another few weeks, then the misfire returned again!

I then checked the previously split pipe and everything still looked good. I didn't do anything else, I simply replaced the cover and took it out again - and, you've guessed it, it was fine again for a little while! On this occassion I didn't do anything except check the pipe was still firmly attached and had not split again.

The engine is great condition having done less that 50,000 miles, and has been serviced regularly. I have tried disconnecting the MAF but that makes no difference. When it's not misfiring it goes really well and does not smoke or knock at all.

I'm now stuck on what to try next so any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Try some injector cleaner
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Johny555 for this post:
  • heraldsteve
(09-07-2016, 11:50 AM)Johny555 Wrote:  Try some injector cleaner
Thanks Johnny. I've always been reluctant to use fuel additives as I'm not convinced they're always good for the engine, but if I can't find a more definitive resolution then I will give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes.
(09-07-2016, 12:04 PM)heraldsteve Wrote:  
(09-07-2016, 11:50 AM)Johny555 Wrote:  Try some injector cleaner
Thanks Johnny. I've always been reluctant to use fuel additives as I'm not convinced they're always good for the engine, but if I can't find a more definitive resolution then I will give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes.
A good brand injector cleaner is well worth trying & at least you know the system is clean.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • heraldsteve
(09-07-2016, 05:42 PM)ron Wrote:  [quote pid='89317' dateline='1468065844']
A good brand injector cleaner is well worth trying & at least you know the system is clean.

[/quote]
Thanks Ron. It's getting low on diesel so I'll give it a try when I refill later this week.
I might have found the problem. The MAF connector didn't seem to be fully engaged and took a heavy bit of pressure to make it seat correctly. That was two days ago, since which it's driving great again (but then it sometimes did anyway!). I've also filled up with diesel today and added some snake oil, sorry, injector cleaner Smile so either way I'm hoping it's all sorted now.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to heraldsteve for this post:
  • ron
(19-07-2016, 03:39 PM)heraldsteve Wrote:  I might have found the problem. The MAF connector didn't seem to be fully engaged and took a heavy bit of pressure to make it seat correctly. That was two days ago, since which it's driving great again (but then it sometimes did anyway!). I've also filled up with diesel today and added some snake oil, sorry, injector cleaner Smile so either way I'm hoping it's all sorted now.
Good oh.Keep us posted. Big Grin
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Well two weeks since it last misfired so it's now looking good
(03-08-2016, 08:21 PM)heraldsteve Wrote:  Well two weeks since it last misfired so it's now looking good

2 months now and still running great. I only mention it as someone else might benefit from my experience.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to heraldsteve for this post:
  • brodfather11, Jane Rushby
Great news Steve - you know it may have been the snake oil after all?