Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Engine] Newer diesels Weak?
I hope my delight with a 38 month old, 15k miles on the clock diesel Mk3 is not about to end! Towed home on a rescue truck last week with a misfiring engine. Bought a Maxiscan code reader and got P0271 Cylinder Injector4 High.Seemed simple enough until I spoke to a couple of main Dealers who said it might not actually be the injector. I would need a £90 proper diagnostic check to be sure. I asked how much a new injector cost..was quoted £260 and around £500-£600 for the whole job. And only 15k miles from new and dealer serviced last year. Begining to wish I hadn't sold my faithful Mk2 with the 2.0HDi engine which never missed a beat. Any comments welcome.
When did you buy it?

Could still be in warranty
Bought Feb 13 2012 with 4328 miles on the clock. Was first registered as a motability vehicle on July 17th. 2011. Was kept by first owner less than 6 months as there is an Experian Gold Check on it dated 15 December2011. Engine went wobbly on August 3rd. So technically over 3 years from first registration. Full dealer service at 10044 miles on May 20 2013.Since the mileage till May 2014 was only about 4500 miles I was told a service not necessary untill 2 years/12000 miles. They May offer some deal but want to see what the seller (Evans Halshaw) did on the servicing side. The oil was nice and gold so I expect at least an oil change as it is not possible for a diesel to go 4328 miles without some blackening no?

Does anyone know how to remove the carpet like material off the top of the 1.6 HDi engine. I want to get a look at the top of the injectors. I have been told by a local mechanic that Siemens are more prone to fail. So I hope I have Bosch! all that seems to be holding the cover are 2 cone shaped rubber things. I am afraid to pull too hard in case they just break. Or do I have to remove more to see the top of the engine. When, if ever, are Haynes going to bring out a manual for this car!
The engine cover will just pull off and fit back easily. I hope you manage to sort out your issue.

Mark
2009 Citroen Berlingo 1.6hdi Lx van
1999 Peugeot 406 V6se coupe 
Isn't the mk3 1.6hdi engine very similar to the mk2 1.6hdi?

You will probably find you have Bosch injectors as moat are, check electrical connections first of all , failing that pull the injector and take it to Bosch for a check/refurb
my 63 plate 90 Berlingo is on 44,500mls since November 2013 Smile not a wiff of issues yet, but it only ever has Shell Vpower+ diesel
63 plate Berlingo working hard.....
(14-08-2014, 04:44 PM)paraman Wrote:  I hope my delight with a 38 month old, 15k miles on the clock diesel Mk3 is not about to end! Towed home on a rescue truck last week with a misfiring engine. Bought a Maxiscan code reader and got P0271 Cylinder Injector4 High.Seemed simple enough until I spoke to a couple of main Dealers who said it might not actually be the injector. I would need a £90 proper diagnostic check to be sure. I asked how much a new injector cost..was quoted £260 and around £500-£600 for the whole job. And only 15k miles from new and dealer serviced last year. Begining to wish I hadn't sold my faithful Mk2 with the 2.0HDi engine which never missed a beat. Any comments welcome.

It does really need a diagnostic check on Diagbox or Lexia.

Ask nicely over on the Frenchcarforum.co.uk , someone near to you may have one - I'm sure there's a couple of guys up your way who might do it for a very small fee like a cup of tea and a piece of cake. . I'd do it myself for you but I'm a bit far south in Reading. Only takes 5 mins but the dealers rip us off. Many of us own Lexia/diagbox kits now and do DIY diagnosis..

It's better to do a diagnostic check than go around replacing bits that it might not be.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
Try http://andersonclark.boschauto.co.uk/

They won't charge stupid main dealer prices and will know what they're doing as
they repair PAS vehicles.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool