Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[Engine] cam timing and belt change
Hi. i have a 2005 1.9 dw engine berlingo van. I have come to change the cam belt and according to the manuals the sprockets on the injecter pump and camshaft should have 3 bolts and a slotted sprocket. i have this set up on the injecter pump but on the camshaft it is a solid sprocket. Even with the belt tensioner removed there isnt enough slack on the belt to enable you to fit it. Has anyone else come across this problem before and can you give me any advice on how to fit the belt. Has the wronr camshaft sprocket been fitted ?
Thanks in advance for any help or answers that you can provide
(18-10-2014, 12:20 PM)berty berlingo Wrote:  Hi. i have a 2005 1.9 dw engine berlingo van. I have come to change the cam belt and according to the manuals the sprockets on the injecter pump and camshaft should have 3 bolts and a slotted sprocket. i have this set up on the injecter pump but on the camshaft it is a solid sprocket. Even with the belt tensioner removed there isnt enough slack on the belt to enable you to fit it. Has anyone else come across this problem before and can you give me any advice on how to fit the belt. Has the wronr camshaft sprocket been fitted ?
Thanks in advance for any help or answers that you can provide

Not sure if yours is the same as mine, but I did a precautionary cambelt change as I wasn't sure how long it had been on when I bought the car. I hit the same problem, that you cannot put the belt on in the preferred order, because as the last item there just isn't room to get it over the camshaft sprocket, at least not without some potentially damaging wrangling. My solution was to remove the non-tensioning idler, put the belt on the top pulleys (which were pinned) then over the tensioner and crankshaft. I then checked the flywheel timing, and held the belt into the crankshaft sprocket teeth with one hand whilst I put the idler back with the other. (which goes in easily) Then, obviously, check your timing again once it's tensioned. If it's out by one (mine wasn't) you only need to remove the idler again to put that right.